LED lights, new fans and stepper motors on UMO+?

Posted · LED lights, new fans and stepper motors on UMO+?

HI.

As im new to the 3dprinting World, i have just got my UMO+.

As a lot of you, by assembling the printer i have a lot of Things i want to upgrade or just change for better personal usage.

1) My first queation is to the LED lights that the UMO2 have. Its nice to see the prints better, but how much light can i apply to the UMO2 main board which is default in my printer?

2) I would very much like to get rid of the big standart fan. I know some smaller fans that makes a lot less noice. But what about the fan output on the main board, can it support 2 small fans instead of the standart one?

3) I have looked around, and found that a lot of you modify your ultimakers with new steppermotors. the standart is 1,8degree and you replace it with 0,9degree. is the 0,9degree motors more quiet?

I hope you understand my questions, and i have searched with no luck. Please help the newbie.

Regards Mark.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum!

I hope the assembly went smooth?

1) Are you sure it will make a big difference, since the frame is mostly open so ambient light will access the build volume too. But the Ultimaker Original+ has the same electronics as the Ultimaker 2, so you could use the same LED strip. I believe it is 24V (?)

2) The fan has an output of 5V. But on my Ultimaker Original (which is not a +) I have mounted two of the same fans on the same outlet and it was fine.

3) I actually don't really know a lot of people who have replaced the motor.

Why would that be necessary? What I can think of is the feeder motor, but for the Ultimaker 2 there is a different stepper motor than the Ultimaker Original.

Leds. 24v. Um2 led strip or diy https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/9607-leds-on-umo-out-of-the-box

Fan. You can use 2 fans yeah. Don't use more than 200mA or you can break the weak pwm fan system. 24V or in series like the um2 uses (not recommend).

0.9 um2 stepper motor works perfect on umo+. It's less noisy, specially if you get rid of the wood extruder and print a IRobertI feeder.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/11453-ultimaker-original-mod-irobertis-feeder-on-umo

Led and fans pwm have the same electronics, on paper the transistor can go up to 500mA. On reality I would never pass 200mA (I had to change the transistor 3 times because of that).

Thanks everybody.

The build went smooth, and im glad that i did not choose the preassembled version. I know a lot more about the printer, and im sure it will give me some big advanteges over time.

The lights is for just for the sake of having better lighting inside the box, so the shadows from downlights in the cieling will be minimized.

Can i connect the two small fans to the same output in the main board?

About the steppermotors, i have found out that, of course, the 0,9 can make better precision, and they are a lot less noisy.

Besides that, the steppers are overpowered, so lowering the power can make less heat and less noise. or so ive read.

Can i connect the two small fans to the same output in the main board?

Repost:

Fan. You can use 2 fans yeah. Don't use more than 200mA or you can break the weak pwm fan system. 24V or in series like the um2 uses (not recommend).

The size won't matter, the airflow and Amps do. Don't make them go over 200mA (not each, but the sum, so max 100mA each fan).

The molex connector with a tinny tool you can disconnect the metal clips, or just buy a new moles wire for the new fans, just in case something goes wrong.

Just a friendly advice. The manual don't says so, but I read people having leaks over the aluminium block because the nozzle wasn't tight 'while hot'. I mean, don't over-do-it it could break, but isn't the same to close the nozzle with the hot barrel isolator while cold than hot, the metal expands and use to leave a opening for the filament to exit and go up. If this happens, it's a mess to clean and you can just tight a bit the nozzle holding the aluminium block while the heat it's at 150-200 (use proper tools and protection). Just my 5cents.

HI.

Im not sure anybody still reading this, but now i will try anyway.

I have now bought and mounted the two small fans. I dont know why but i cant add an image.

Its the same fans as UMO2 (DC:12V 0,8A)

I have just cut the wire of the original fan at the printhead and connected the two + and two - from the new fans to the + and - on the original fan wire.

The question is now, why the fans dont spin?

UM2 fans are connected on serial not parallel. Maybe it's that? Check this post of @ultiarjan https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/11578-connecting-x4-12v-fans-to-24v-umo-?page=1&sort=#reply-103383

But you did not recommend that it was in serial?

Mabye i need to try a serial instead of parallel..

Serial isn't recomended, but seems that works with um2. The think it's that to use it on parallel you need same voltage 24v, to use 12v on a 24v plug you need to go serial, like um2. The problem it's if one of the fans stops, the other will get a spike, or that's what other say. I use x2 fans 24v and other set of x2 fans connected to a pwm box (manual). The think with um2/umo+ fan boards in my experience it's that if you go beyond 200mA for the total power use, you have a 50% chance of blowing the transistor.

Well, i will go serial, and if it happens that the transistor dies, i just have to replace it.

UM must have a good reason to make it in serial, otherwise they would have gone with the parallel connection.

And with theese fans, with 0,8A, am i correct that 0,8A is the same as 80mA? so the total of theese two fans is 160mA=1,6A?

Well, i will go serial, and if it happens that the transistor dies, i just have to replace it.

UM must have a good reason to make it in serial, otherwise they would have gone with the parallel connection.

And with theese fans, with 0,8A, am i correct that 0,8A is the same as 80mA? so the total of theese two fans is 160mA=1,6A?

Maybe, who knows, I have never ever found an answer to that, and I have posts about it over and over. Maybe that explains why they didn't use mosfet for the pwm. Anyhow if works, works :D

160mA = 0,16A

The transistor think I think I'm the only user to have that issue, also I don't know any other user that tried to plug a 350mA crossflow fan to the pwm, or x4 100mA to the same plug. I don't think you can burn the transistor with that low amps, the worse that could happen it's that one of the fans motor could die from going from 12v to 24v on a spike if one of the fans stalls/stucks/stops/dies, the other will get the the spike. Maybe they designed the pwm that way to avoid that. This it's an open source board, but not open knowledge board :D

• Like 1

This it's an open source board, but not open knowledge board

HAHA. Yearh i wish it was open knoledge. i could seriously use some more reading material about it.

But, well, i might just do what seems to be the right way, and see what happens.

Thanks a lot, you have been a big help. :)

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · LED lights, new fans and stepper motors on UMO+?

0.8 A is 800 mA (milli-Ampère means a thousandth of an Ampère). If your fan really draws 800 mA, then it will quickly destroy the PWM output of your UM2 board.

I don't believe you really have 12V, 0.8A fans. That would mean that this fan draws 10 Watts. A 10W, 12VDC fan is more like a wind turbine than a regular fan. For example, have a look at this one:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Delta-Electronics/FFB1212VH-F00/?qs=%2fW4LtXOBxKsvsU4J0zilXQ==

This is a Delta Electronics high power 120mm fan with 126 CFM airflow, at a noise level of 52 dBA (that is A LOT). You might be able to use that one to blow finished prints right out of the printer :D

Are you sure it doesn't say 0.08A ? (that would be 80 mA, which would make much more sense...)

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · LED lights, new fans and stepper motors on UMO+?

Lol well spotted I autoreaded 0.08mA

Edited by Guest

Hate being fussy - but my electronics brain is making me do it!

0.08 A, not mA. There is quite a difference (factor 1000...) ;)

• Like 1

Hey. well, that quite a lot of power for a 40mm fan.

But i bought this one :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-GDT-mini-Cooler-12V-2pin-2510-25x25x10mm-DC-Cooling-Fan-micro-brushless-c7-/261431041864?hash=item3cde811f48:g:wU0AAOxyhXRTLbb5

And it says as i can read 0.8A..

But i think that it is a wrong mark, because as i would know with my limited knowledge of powerconducting, that it must be 0.08A.

In the description it says

Rated Current: 0.09±0.18 Amp

That makes sense. For one, there is a huge tolerance because there are large differences on low quality fans. Around 100 mA is the usual case for fans with sleeve bearings. It's also nothing unusual that chinese cheapo-ware has useless labels...