Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
darkglove

Extruder not working

Hi, total 3D printer noob here!

Just got myself an Ultimaker Original +, built it and 99% working.

But, when I go to print the extruder doesn't extrude. One Job....

So I've done some trouble shooting.

If I plug the extruder motor into the X axis socket and send move commands it works, so the motor is fine.

I've installed Pronterface so I can test the extruder motor but it does nothing. I wanted to try to control it in Extruder port 2 but can't seem to find a G Code for the 2nd port.

Either way, it seems like Port 1 isn't doing what it's supposed to.

I'm using the most up to date version of Cura which uploaded the default firmware.

I've tried using http://marlinbuilder.robotfuzz.com/ to build several different versions of firmware but when I upload any of them, they seem to upload fine but once complete the Controller display starts to display gibberish....

Any ideas?!

Edited by Guest

robotfuzz hasn't updated since the "plus" came out which uses a completely different circuit board. You are better off using the amedee version:

https://bultimaker.bulles.eu/

The extruder will not turn unless the nozzle is above 170C. You can alternatively enable "cold extrusions" within pronterface by sending this gcode through pronterface. After power cycle cold extrusions are again disabled:

M302

The second extruder can't be controlled by the Ulticontroller. To do it by gcode you need to change to tool 1 with T1 and then you control head/extruder 2 by gcode. I would love to be able to 'extrude' the tool 1 on the Prepare sub menus.

Edited by Guest

Mind one think. If you use the builder and set to dual extruders, you will get an error if you don't really have 2 extruders (at least 2 heat sensors). If you are trying to change one head from 1 to 2, for that you need to build your own Marlin firmware and edit the pins.h Not hard, but it takes a good hour to read and prepare the firmware if you never used the arduino.

Yeah, might have to go down that route but I was hoping it would be a good quick test to see if port 1 was borked.

I've tried another firmware as gr5 suggested but still nothing...

I'm starting to think it might be a board issue. :(

Well I got a few minutes to spare so

I build you an hex from this branch:

https://github.com/AmedeeBulle/Marlin/tree/Marlin_UMO_Unified

The file it's on my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yd20mn7clv9pnl/Extruder1to2-2to1-umoplus.hex?dl=0

(Warning: I build this without testing it on my machines, I think I did it right, but... I take no responsability if something goes kboom)

Thinks changed (I think I didn't missed something.. but just in case...)

On configuration.h I edited

#ifndef MOTHERBOARD#define MOTHERBOARD 72#endif#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 20#ifndef TEMP_SENSOR_1#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 20#endif#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 0

Also on pins.h edited:

on the section of the board 72 (umo2/umo+ board)

#define HEATER_0_PIN  3 // Originally is 2#define TEMP_0_PIN 9 // Originally is 8#define HEATER_1_PIN 2 // Originally is 3#define TEMP_1_PIN 8 // Originally is 9#define E0_STEP_PIN         49 // Originally is 42#define E0_DIR_PIN          47 // Originally is 43#define E0_ENABLE_PIN       48 // Originally is 37#define E1_STEP_PIN         42 // Originally is 49#define E1_DIR_PIN          43 // Originally is 47#define E1_ENABLE_PIN       37 // Originally is 48

Dunno if I miss something...

Basically I swaped the pins from extruder/heater/heatsensor from extruder 1/2 so now 2 it's 1 and 1 it's 2..

Legend!

That's done it, I can control the extruder motor using Pronterface so think I'm going to do a test print.

For anyone else reading this in the future, I also had to move the temp sensor connector over to "Temp 2" otherwise you will get "ERR: MAXTEMP BED"

So it does look like that port is dodgy but at least I can start making some plastic mess while I wait for a replacement.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Matt

Might have spoken a little too soon.

That firmware isn't right, it does allow me to test that extruder port but it's really not happy doing much else. There is no head bed temp display and the heating of either bed or print head fails.

Not to worry though, don't expect you to muck about any further.

Going to look into how you edit firmware and see if I can sort it out.

Thanks again

Someone developed a plugin for Cura (pre 15.06), for extruder select. You could used that, and select extruder 2 every time to print. It has a slight glitch where you have to manually input the temp using controller after preheat, but otherwise works.

I made a version of the firmware that now works using extruder port 2.

First print in progress!

Thanks to all who have helped.

@goldenidea, I'm not 100% sure yet how I make this into a hex file, as soon as I work it out I will post a link for you.

Going forward I would expect my board to be replaced as it's everything points to it being faulty...

I made a version of the firmware that now works using extruder port 2.

First print in progress!

Thanks to all who have helped.

@goldenidea, I'm not 100% sure yet how I make this into a hex file, as soon as I work it out I will post a link for you.

Going forward I would expect my board to be replaced as it's everything points to it being  faulty...

Thanks a lot.