can i spray coat a model to make it water tight ?

ian

Posted · can i spray coat a model to make it water tight ?

Can I make a PA 2200 (White strong material from Shapeways) model, water proof with some sort of spray coating ?

I know this is not directly ultimaker related but I know the People on this Forum are the smartest guys around for this type of question.

Why I ask is because I need to print out a rather large model 250 x 250 x 60 mm battery pack Shell casing that my Company is developing.

We are getting one printed from shapeways for around 260 euros.

But trying to find a Company that can print the same prototype model in a water tight material that we can also shock and Vibration test seems to be a Little tricky ?

Any ideas guys ?

Thanks guys.

Ian :)

• Like 1

google translated from: http://www.leering.nl/Actueel/nieuwsarchief/3D-Printing-omarmt-Dichtol

December 3, 2013

3D PRINTING EMBRACES DICHTOL

Rapid Prototyping (RP), Additive Manufacturing (AM) or 3D print technology is

nothing but the layer by layer to build a product. For this, a print head is typically used, or by means of layers of powder a laser locally fused together. This method is the most complex designs possible that could never be achieved using conventional machining methods.

Although the technique is relatively new to all by now many kinds of materials, including metals, are processed so that the application and use has increased significantly. Some materials are porous after production and / or need extra protection against external influences. A liquid to be treated, to obtain gas-tight and protected product is the product DIAMANT DICHTOL.

One of the companies that has dedicated itself to this particular branch of production is the company 3dPrintcompany BV Hengelo. We asked Henny te Pas from this firm to his experiences:

Dichtol diamond in the 3D printing technology is mainly applied to plastic, as in our case based on PA12 nylon. Initially recommended by the manufacturer of the printing machines DIAMOND DICHTOL now widely accepted and appreciated by 3D printing companies.

The goal is on the one hand the impregnation of the plastic parts to achieve water and gas density and to improve the compressive strength, but also to seal the somewhat porous structure for pollution. This has proven expedient for objects that frequently go from hand to hand like show models and prototypes but also with utensils, additional protection simply necessary. Our standard used DIAMANT DICHTOL processing method of dipping is, unless the objects beyond a certain size, then pouring or spraying we impregnating the part with the Dichtol.

We are very happy with the end result. The DICHTOL gives our product a significant added value which the applicability and usability will be greatly increased.

H. W. (Henny) ten Pas, Sales Consultant Rapid Prototyping & Parts Manufacturing.

If you yourself want to do experiments with Dichtol? Call: 074-255 82 90

• Like 1

You could go hardcore with a hydrophobic spray, but im not sure how long it would last for or even work, but i love that stuff.

Very cool, ill bookmark that page.