new / extra forum suggestions

frederiekpascal

Posted · new / extra forum suggestions

hello,

I was thinking on 2 new / extra forums.

1) Simplify3D. It seems many UM users are using this nice piece of software and they always have to go knocking on the door of the Simplify3D forums for support. I personally don't like the S3D forums. https://forum.simplify3d.com/ They only have 3 forums and their software is too complex for starters to find a way through this messy forum. Their tutorials are not advanced enough to master the program without the help of senior users.

2) Octoprint. Same af S3D imo, many users use or at least tried to use Octoprint to control their UM. Some had success but at least the same amount of people failed to install and get it up and running. I got it up and running but I had to run around 10 different forums to get it up and running...

Just my 2 cents..., I'd like to hear your feedback @SandervG and from the other forum members. :)

• Like 1

I was thinking on adding those 2 forums here :

Software and Firmware :

- General

- Troubleshooting

- Cura and Marlin

- Simplify3D

- Octoprint

- 3D modeling for 3D printing

Is there a reason why your "general" forums are not 1st in the order of each category? Isn't that the first forum you look at? On most boards the "general discussions" in most categories are always the most popular boards... Anyway just a suggestion, no need to change it before I got flooded with unhappy people who click on the wrong forum when the order would be changed. :p:)

Isn't there a way to create a poll on this forum to check the popularity of those 2 subjects? (Octoprint & S3D)

cheers!

We don't have a poll feature yet, but it is funny you mention it (in a new forum suggestion thread) because it is pretty high on the request-list to be looked into ;)

Our philosophy was kinda the opposite, where you first encounter specific topics and if you don't know where to post or look, you end up in general.

I think this is better because otherwise for example, a lot of troubleshooting threads will end up in general.

We don't have a poll feature yet, but it is funny you mention it (in a new forum suggestion thread) because it is pretty high on the request-list to be looked into ;)

Our philosophy was kinda the opposite, where you first encounter specific topics and if you don't know where to post or look, you end up in general.

I think this is better because otherwise for example, a lot of troubleshooting threads will end up in general.

Point taken, makes sense :)

Personally I'm strongly against creating too many subforums. They tend to kill momentum on forums in general. I've lost count on how many times I've ended up on some forum in search for help or what have you, I go to the main page and see 30 subforums with 10 posts in each and go "Well... fuck it, I'm out".

If we had several new threads every day/week concerning those particular topics, then yeah, split it up. But in my eyes there's not nearly enough activity to justify two additional subforums for it.

• Like 1

Personally I'm strongly against creating too many subforums. They tend to kill momentum on forums in general. I've lost count on how many times I've ended up on some forum in search for help or what have you, I go to the main page and see 30 subforums with 10 posts in each and go "Well... fuck it, I'm out".

If we had several new threads every day/week concerning those particular topics, then yeah, split it up. But in my eyes there's not nearly enough activity to justify two additional subforums for it.

That's why a poll feature would receive a warm welcome on this forum. Then you would know for sure. :D

To follow @IRobertI, we have been cutting down into the subcategories in our renovation of the forum.

If there are a lot of questions about it, these topics will organically find its place.

But I do hear your frustration, what could be an option for example is if you wrote a detailed thread in which you describe your experience and what you found.

The thread could be made sticky in General ( ? ) so everyone can find it easily?

That way through comments it could aways evolve into a discussion and source of help for others if necessary.

What do you think?

To follow @IRobertI, we have been cutting down into the subcategories in our renovation of the forum.

If there are a lot of questions about it, these topics will organically find its place.

But I do hear your frustration, what could be an option for example is if you wrote a detailed thread in which you describe your experience and what you found.

The thread could be made sticky in General ( ? ) so everyone can find it easily?

That way through comments it could aways evolve into a discussion and source of help for others if necessary.

What do you think?

I personally don't like browsing an endless thread with numerous of pages to find an answer for my issue. With a perfect working forum search it could be an option but at the moment they should fix the search first. :)

That is assuming your detailed write up would leave a lot of room for questions ;)

I agree that his two sub-categories are good ideas.

In my circle of 3D printing friends, I am among the few using Cura. Many use the two products frederiekpascal pointed out.

I see both sides of the discussion...but it would be easier to find solutions for those two products if they had their own categories to scroll through.

• Like 1

I agree that his two sub-categories are good ideas.  

In my circle of 3D printing friends, I am among the few using Cura.  Many use the two products frederiekpascal pointed out.  

I see both sides of the discussion...but it would be easier to find solutions for those two products if they had their own categories to scroll through.

true, imo people just don't post that many question about octo and/or S3D because there is no forum for it ;)

let's hope a poll feature will be available soon so we can measure the potential popularity of these 2 forums :D