Temperature sensor error on UM2

JohnFox

Posted · Temperature sensor error on UM2

Just had some 'temperature sensor error' messages on my UM2. They are fatal, i.e. only switch off and on again clears them but then the machine works perfectly again.

Oddly, I have only seen these during the first layer.

No obviously incorrect temperatures on either the nozzle or build-plate.

Any ideas?

All it says is 'temperature sensor error', nothing to say which sensor it is talking about. The fans are normally off on the first layer, 50% on layer 2, then 100% beyond that.

The bed and nozzle are heating up for certain and pretty close to what they should be.

A loose connector seems the obvious cause but can't explain why only on the first layer. I am assuming that if the controller sees an open circuit on a sensor it halts immediately.

Does the nozzle sensor have a connector around the hot end area?

What does the temp error actually say? Knowing if it's nozzle or bed could narrow it down a bit.

Do you have fans come on during the first layer?

Could be a loose connection.

This is the head sensor error, when it's the bed it's mentioned explicitly in the message, don't remember the exact phrase anymore...

Check if you metal fan shroud is not touching the heater block, which is more likely to happen if you have the olsson block. Also turning the fan on more gradually might help.

Posted (edited) · Temperature sensor error on UM2

This is the head sensor error, when it's the bed it's mentioned explicitly in the message, don't remember the exact phrase anymore...

Check if you metal fan shroud is not touching the heater block, which is more likely to happen if you have the olsson block. Also turning the fan on more gradually might help.

This would help, if he got a "Heater error"...

Just to be sure: usually these error messages are showing

"ERROR - STOPPED"

in the first line... and the second text line looks like this?

"Temp sensor" (without the appendix "...BED")

This one is triggered, if the temperature sensor inside the heater block reads less than 5°C or more than 275°C. At which temperatures are you printing?

There's no connector near the head, the wire goes all the way down to the electronics board. You can check the connection there. Or can you reproduce the error if you wiggle the cables a bit?

Edited by Guest

I had this occur multiple times and thought perhaps it wasn't plugged in tight at the circuit board. It seems it would go away and work for awhile before happening again. I finally replaced the temp sensor with the wiring and haven't seen it since. I am not sure if it was a problem with the wires or the actual sensor. The wires are pretty tiny and fragile. Just wanted to give you another scenario.

It looks like a dodgy connector on the board then.

I'm printing at 210C

Can't reproduce the error at all, suspect it is due to the little gremlin that lives underneath the machine :-)

This would help, if he got a "Heater error"...

Just to be sure: usually these error messages are showing

"ERROR - STOPPED"

in the first line... and the second text line looks like this?

"Temp sensor" (without the appendix "...BED")

This one is triggered, if the temperature sensor inside the heater block reads less than 5°C or more than 275°C. At which temperatures are you printing?

There's no connector near the head, the wire goes all the way down to the electronics board. You can check the connection there. Or can you reproduce the error if you wiggle the cables a bit?

Just changed the sensor, I became pretty sure that the wiring was the problem.

So far so good.

thanks

I had this occur multiple times and thought perhaps it wasn't plugged in tight at the circuit board.  It seems it would go away and work for awhile before happening again.  I finally replaced the temp sensor with the wiring and haven't seen it since.  I am not sure if it was a problem with the wires or the actual sensor.  The wires are pretty tiny and fragile. Just wanted to give you another scenario.