Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jweaver

Wall thickness is wrong

I have just printed a small box with a lid which fits inside the box and can't get the lid to fit..

I dug out my calipers and found a really obvious problems.. The walls are simply too thick.

The walls should be 1.5mm, but they print at almost 2.0.

I double checked the STL file and confirmed the walls are indeed 1.5mm.. And then I checked again in CURA and again confirmed the walls are 1.5mm

I am still using Cura 15.02.1 and have a 0.4mm nozzle and am printing with a 0.8mm shell thickness.

Any ideas how to make the wall thickness closer to 1.5?

Jon

Hi Jon,

The fact that te actual 3D print is slightly bigger than you model is totally normal.

On average you should leave 0.1mm clearance between your printed parts. That means your walls could be: 1,5 + 2* 0,1mm= 1,7mm.

The fact that your walls are over this 1,7mm could mean you are extruding to much material.

1. Slightly lower your temperature, by 5°C.

2. Check if your flow rate is set properly. In the machine: Material -> Settings -> Flow.3

3. (NOT LIKELY) Your motor belts are loose. Loose belts make the nozzle make wider moves. In this case slightly wider walls. Slightly loosen the 4 screws on the outside of the motor, press the motor down firmly and re-tighten the screws.

Let me know if this helped you out!