Katana Slicer by Printr

tasopoulos

Posted · Katana Slicer by Printr

Well it's quite bad at processing stls. I have not printed anything, but just by viewing the gcode on cura/s3d the speed and mistakes on generating the gcode, I won't make my printer suffer =)

For example, it makes phantom top layers, very weird speed changes, etc.

Two examples of the gcode errors and weird-ness. (viewed on s3d, generated on katana)

5a331579b260d_Capturadepantalla2015-12-22alas9_27_17.thumb.png.3b5a1fcad9c95e1e459f2a23a316db57.png

5a33157a993fb_Capturadepantalla2015-12-22alas9_27_26.thumb.png.fd0c84b196d03f08dbf7206f88b308d6.png

Also it doesn't have gcode viewer, it need's to be online to read the machine profiles (and if you did make one, you can't pass the first screen without being online). I don't like online stuff.

The look it's nice, the options to change are quite ok, and it looks that can be tuned to make most of the thinks ok, but it's a very basic stuff.

On the website it says that you can edit the supports, that for now isn't true.

It imports cura settings, but the difference from one file processed on cura and katana it's big on infill, speed and well, mostly everything. So if you import, remember to check a lot of stuff.

Oh also, the start gcode (they don't explain how to change it, but it seems that it's posible) it's really weird. It moves the head before starting to heat up...

;Formide ©  ;FLAVOR: GCODE_FLAVOR_REPRAP  G21G28G1 Z5 F5000G90G92 E0M82G92 E0M104 S220M190 S75M109 S220M106 S178;Volume:0, LAYER:0  G0 F9000 X98.642 Y96.326 Z0.200....

So for me, it looks promising, but it won't be my main slicer anytime soon.

5a331579b260d_Capturadepantalla2015-12-22alas9_27_17.thumb.png.3b5a1fcad9c95e1e459f2a23a316db57.png

5a33157a993fb_Capturadepantalla2015-12-22alas9_27_26.thumb.png.fd0c84b196d03f08dbf7206f88b308d6.png

Posted · Katana Slicer by Printr

Linux and Mac only... wtf. That's a weird decision to make, target the smallest platforms out there first.

Also, since when did slicing become the most tedious thing? I can spend days/weeks designing something, slicing takes about 3 minutes.

Posted (edited) · Katana Slicer by Printr

As far as I can see they might even use parts of Cura. I've seen a few behaviours that look awfully lot like what Cura does.

So far I'm not that convinced about the GUI. It crashed a few times on me and I had to get the g-code from some temp files it wrote somewhere.

I'll try and slice some objects to see how it works on a UM2

Edited by Guest