Print quality issue

Posted (edited) · Print quality issue

Hi there,

I'm having some issues with a few materials and colors. I've printed the same file over and over again but sometimes the result is as below.You can see that the letters are not filled out correctly and that there are some flaws in the surface and outlines.

What do I need to adjust to get this right?

IMG_9258_zps2w5wvl6p.jpg

IMG_9259_zpsc4jhqk31.jpg

IMG_9260_zpsxrynkuov.jpg

Thanks!

Mickael

Edited by Guest

Posted · Print quality issue

On the purple one the holes are due to low infill or top/bottom layers value being to low.

Try to have at least 6 layers at the top.

For something small and flat like that i usually fill it completely (infill 100%) or top and bottom height to match the height of the print.

Ok thanks! Makes sense to me, although I still wonder why this sometimes happens and sometimes not. Even with same settings, same file but often another material or colour.

Here's another example with 100% infill with a lot of surface flaws;

IMG_9114_zps7mvedwsg.jpg

IMG_9113_zps7ircyunq.jpg

IMG_9112_zpsart8axhf.jpg

IMG_9111_zps1vvhi6lt.jpg

IMG_9110_zpsaekesu1z.jpg

IMG_9109_zpsvo9ksqxk.jpg

IMG_9108_zpsjhhufqur.jpg

IMG_9107_zpsjp8aoai5.jpg

Is this also a layer thickness issue or so?

Maybe to cold and/or too fast

I've printed this at 228 degrees which is warmer than they suggest (max. 220 deg) and the speed was max. 50 mm/s, is that too fast for something like this?

Anyways, I'll do some more testing with this. I've also printed a little robot with this color which was a fail as well. :(

how old is the printer and have you ever replaced the PTFE coupler and/or performed a hot/cold pull?

Hi Korneel,

The printer is one month old, did not replace the PTFE coupler yet (since it's still pretty new). By hot/cold, you mean the "atomic method"? I did that once to test it out, using ABS.

Posted (edited) · Print quality issue

well, you can still wreck it within the month ;)

when you start the print, do you get a very nice ice cone shape on the front left?

it is at 8 minutes and 50 seconds

this is exactly how it should look like, a nice upside down softice that is being pushed out..

does it do the same thing for you?

Edited by Guest

Or the PTFE coupler is not good or there is a small blockade in the nozzle. Be carefull changing from ABS to PLA. Try some "atomic pulls" with PLA and check how dirty your filament is that you pulled. The in print of the nozzle should be in there.

Or the PTFE coupler is not good or there is a small blockade in the nozzle. Be carefull changing from ABS to PLA. Try some "atomic pulls" with PLA and check how dirty your filament is that you pulled. The in print of the nozzle should be in there.

i would say, please don't do atomic pulls with PLA or ABS.. you can't really clean the nozzle with it and it'll break when force is applied. please use Nylon for this...

i would say, please don't do atomic pulls with PLA or ABS.. you can't really clean the nozzle with it and it'll break when force is applied.  please use Nylon for this...

I hear more people praise Nylon, so I guess that works too.

But I think PLA has also proven to work, so if you don't have any Nylon PLA could be a second best.

Have you also printed with ABS?

Did you clean the nozzle afterwards?

By doing an Atomic Method using ABS you might have made the nozzle 'dirtier' by leaving ABS residue in the nozzle. That can interfere with a nice and smooth material flow when doing a PLA print later.

Here is a guide towards Atomic Method

Yes I do, in fact I'm getting some really nice prints with some materials. but sometimes it's all messed up, haven't figured out why yet.

I was not thinking of the printer itself although I had some minor issues and also the LCD flickers since the beginning I had it but don't know if that's normal.

See:

well, you can still wreck it within the month ;)

when you start the print, do you get a very nice ice cone shape on the front left?

it is at 8 minutes and 50 seconds

this is exactly how it should look like, a nice upside down softice that is being pushed out..

does it do the same thing for you?

so if you get a good cone, and it's important to have an automatic round shape and the flow should be very consistent, that means at least your feeder is working well and the PTFE is not deformed and your nozzle is ok.

so that's good news!

then it's down to temperature playing..

what is the speed you are using, the material, and the temperature and the layer height?