Learn from our stupid mistake

ian

Posted · Learn from our stupid mistake

Learn from my very stupid mistake from last night.

I have my home ultimaker on a small wooden table.

I normalls have it side ways, so that I can see it printing and also the extruder working.. or not and then adjust the thumb screw...

So i some times, take the ulticontroller off the front and place it towards me on the middle of the inside machine.

works with no problem of course.

But I did this 2 days ago and printed for a test, a massive head model from thingiverse. right to the max print height in my ultimaker.

can anyone see whats going to happen ?

last night it was still printing and my girlfriend checked that it was all ok.

she came back and said, are you sure the controller shoul stay there under the bed.

it looks alittle tight ?

had a look and there was about 5mm left between the bottom of the print bed and the top of the ulti controller.

i let it print last night until the two touched.

I now have a 27 hour print.... WOWWWW, with no mistakes, just the last 1 hour of printing is missing...

so.... as the germans would say... mistttttt.

i think ill make this mistake once.

Ian :D

We made the same mistake here at UM last week. Now we are putting the flat cables from the underside of the machine instead of trough the hole and hang them on the side.

oh i did something more stupid in the early days.

I took the silly default plastic shroud off the fan and decided i'd keep it in case it was useful later.

so i put it under the bed.

standing upright.

then i printed a 9hr print which was max height and one side of the bed hit this shroud, which bent but didn't give way - the bed actually tilted by a degree or two on one side before the print was ruined. so then i panicked and pulled the power and shutdown - without making a note of where it had gotten to.

but i recovered the print. it took 2 a4 pages of math and a lot of trial and error to calculate how to resume a twisted print from an unknown stopping point. so don't give up yet - yours should be easy to fix ;)

another great mistake is. when you have done 10 hour of printing and then walk past the ultimaker and your jumper pulls out the power cable from the side... ooopppss

There was a little thing sticking out from my first layer. Thought it would be a good idea to push it down with the screw driver until the next layer keeps it in place. Pressed to hard and actually pushed down the print bed on the springs. Dont put manual pressure on your build platform!

ohh thats a good one !

i just changed the title of this tread.

Ian :-)

Has there been a point of this made in the Official construction guide at all?

dont think so... i guess there is going to be lots of people going.... DOHHHHHH and then finding this. lol

Ian ;-)

Make sure you tighten your bolts from time to time. Especially those connecting the stepper motors to the frame. Mine almost got loose during a print but I was lucky to retighten it in time.