Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
gareee

Can the ultimaker 2+ extended take a 5 lb spool of filament?

I always put my filament on the floor so it doesn't matter to me. Also some spools have the center hole too small for the spool holder on the UM2. So just put it on the floor.

I'd be more concerned about the filament diameter. Colorfabb 3mm filament is actually closer to 2.9 or 2.85. But this brand you bought I've never heard of and it says it's "3.00mm +/- .05mm". I wouldn't buy that. If it hits 3.05mm and gets squished out of round a bit by the feeder it can easily get stuck in the bowden. The symptom will be massive underextrusion but you won't know what's causing it. It may be fine for 10 meters and then stuck in the bowden for the next meter.

One way to do it on the floor:

5a330ef319909_redspool.thumb.jpg.9c5d609dbe8a9ab0c73dca54388f827e.jpg

5a330ef319909_redspool.thumb.jpg.9c5d609dbe8a9ab0c73dca54388f827e.jpg

• Like 1

They said the 3.0 mm was actually 2.85 +-, and I specifically asked them if I should order the colorfabb from them or the pro, and they said both would work fine.

everyone seems out of the colorfabb transparent, but the pro natural looks like it was mostly transparent, so I figured that would work. (I wan to print some things that I can light with led light strings, so I figured 5 bs of the natural would give us the best options for now.

Edited by Guest

BTW, did you print that spool holder for the floor, and if so, do you recall where you downloaded the model from?

lol. I made that in about 5 minutes from scrap and a single screw and a hole saw. Those pieces of wood came from the demolition of a bathroom and kitchen. Ugliest spool holder you'll ever see.