Looking For a Demo

Posted · Looking For a Demo

I've been researching 3d printers for the past few months for the company I work for. Through the countless hours of research Ultimaker kept popping up. We're looking to use it for rapid prototyping among other various projects. The thing that attracted me the most was the reliability of prints. One of the things we would want to be able to do is to start a print before one of us leave for the day and have it print without error throughout the night.

Long story short, I'm looking for a distributor or a personal user in the Indianapolis area that wouldn't mind showing off their Ultimaker 2 preferably.

Thanks.

worth questioning a few things;

Rapid - yes ish compared to sending it out.

Overnight - yes, ish but not 100% reliable and there are hazards - you are melting plastics, with a heater and heated bed - they have very little in terms of safety features built in that means that they are a potential fire hazard.

I do leave mine running overnight, but put it in the middle of an open space where it could catch fire and not take the building - but I know I am running a 'risk' and would not do this as my normal modus operandi.

To speed things up I got 2 printers and increased the nozzle size - have not run an overnight print now for a while :)

Posted (edited) · Looking For a Demo

I leave my printer on overnight all the time. It did concern me at first, but after you get to grips with it, it becomes a non issue. Thing how nice it is when you leave the office printing and its just finishing when you arrive. better than sitting next to it all day.

Besides, considering how many printers there are around in homes with children using them im i would have read at least one article about a house burning down because of one.....but im still waiting, and that even goes for for people who are learning and don really know what they are doing.

Edited by Guest

Yepp got one for that purpose. You can easily leave it running overnight. Worst case is you wake up to a mess of spaghetti hair. There's plenty of more dangerous stuff that stays on at night than a 3d printer.

No idea of anyone in the Indianapolis area though.

Edited by Guest

Maybe someone could design an upgrade on the firmware board to add this near the hotend and cut the pwoer at the first sign of plastic smoke (sensibility can be up/down) http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/MQ-2-smoke-sensor-circuit-with-arduino.php

Oh someone already did it http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1103527

Edited by Guest

Besides, considering how many printers there are around in homes with children using them im i would have read at least one article about a house burning down because of one.....but im still waiting, and that even goes for for people who are learning and don really know what they are doing.

I design buildings and put fire escapes in them all the time - but have never personally been in a fire!

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/6608/beware-your-3d-printer-they-can-cause-fires/

google 3d printer fire ...... they happen.

Consider the risk small or not at all, but it is definitely there like with any electrical kit - h, except these have heaters and no runaway overprotection.

I don't runaround worrying about little things but I do think hard about flamable heated things in an unattended space!

Looks like a DIY printer to me, rather than a ready built purchased one so i would assume user built it poorly and stuff was badly constructed. Have any ready made (commercial ones) caught fire, specifically the UM or UM2, out of interest, anyone?

• Like 1

I think I would probably have known and I can't think of a single case where this has happened.

• Like 1

I think you face a bigger risk with those scented plug ins (the heated fragrance oil dispensers) than a 3D printer going poof. :)

• Like 2

I design buildings and put fire escapes in them all the time - but have never personally been in a fire!

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/6608/beware-your-3d-printer-they-can-cause-fires/

google 3d printer fire ...... they happen.

Consider the risk small or not at all, but it is definitely there like with any electrical kit - h, except these have heaters and no runaway overprotection.

I don't runaround worrying about little things but I do think hard about flamable heated things in an unattended space!

You design them with a fire escape because it's the law.

Your home/media pc could catch fire, or even your modem box, those are usually on all the time.