Wait for new models or buy now?

Posted · Wait for new models or buy now?

Hi, my work is buying me an Ultimaker 2 Extended + and I'd like to now if I should go ahead and get this printer or wait for the new models to arrive. I am pretty much sold on buying now, it's just that I don't want to buy now and regret later.

I tend to be the person who buys a product later in it's life cycle anyway because those products tend to be more stable and mature in their design. The problem is my existing printer is not working so I cannot print for the moment. And we need to print some objects for the next show in 6 weeks.

Anyway just wondering what people have heard about the new models.

Les

Make history!

well they wont tell us when the next machine will be released until its ready, so you may be waiting for ages. The UM2 Extended + is an awesome machine so you cant go wrong there.

Its taken 2 years for UM to release a better feeder, more powerfull heater, better coupler setup etc.. I say just get the UM2E+ and if a new machine comes out then let everyone else find any problems with it. Then after a few years UM will release another + to fix the new machines problems and by that time you maybe ready for another machine :)

But dont blame me if they release a new machine within the next month :p

The UM2+ is already a machine in a late cycle from my point of view. Most of it's components have proven to be efficient for two + years.

And the components that were a bit less efficient (Teflon, feeder, fans, head, sensor) are now replaced with better components. There is no big proof of efficiency of the feeder yet, i'm sure it was tested quite a lot by R&D but other components like the Olsson block are more than a year old now.

So to me a UM2+ is a good bet

That's good to read, DidierKlein; I have had enough of Kickstarter hanger queens and things like unkeyed connectors that blow up circuitry if you plug them in wrong, sheesh! I want a mature product with shall we say a level of attention to detail similar to Apple, if I can say that without starting an argument lol. This is a no brainer now.

Les

Make history!

Well, we did announce there would be a new machine this year. But as I have noticed (both as a consumer and one of the people that designs these things) that new machines will have issues, regardless how hard we try to ensure that they don't have em.

So if reliability is your thing, buy the um2+. If you want new & awesome stuff (at the possible cost of reliability), wait for the new stuff.

• Like 1

What others have said....now's a good time to get the 2+

We don't know what the next version will be and what growing pains will come with it.

The 2+ is a pretty sweet machine.

Well we have to see if the funding is awarded, and if it is, UM2E+ is the machine of choice!

Les

Make history!

I've been printing +250 hours with my UM2ext+ without 1 issue.

With my original UM2, I had to start disassembling the thing after the first few hours. :D

So from my personal experience, the UM2+ is a very reliable machine with very awesome prints.

I've probably got 100+ hours on my ultimaker 2+ extended as well right now, with zero issues other than being unfamiliar with how they work, and the learning experience.

after my first pfte change (10 months in) I had at least 10,000 hours on my last um2 with no issues, but if i would recommend anything then it would be to buy some sewing oil and regularly put it on the x and y rods to maximise the life of them or else you will need to tighten them to prevent skips on the teeth which will look like like a layer shift on your print.

• Like 1

Good tip, and thanks! As a new owner, I'd rather keep our printer running top notch as long as possible.

Posted (edited) · Wait for new models or buy now?

dont overdo the oil though! lol, just enough to coat the horizontal rods. dont touch the two fat ones that hold the plate, just the ones that move regularly and the ones that hold them. if you dont print everyday all day you dont need as much. just touch the rods to see if they are dry, if they are then one drop max per rod. and i always do it mid print, not cold.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Awesome.. we are using it daily so far, an I have some larger things we want to print once I'm comfortable with settings different filament n such, so it'll be getting a workout to earn the $$$ we spent on it.