direct drive

Posted · direct drive

A few questions

How long do the x y shafts need to be for direct drive ?

basicly why is 6mm used with ball bearings to the head?

and the copper bits on the outside 8mm? why not have all same size and with balls?

Posted (edited) · direct drive

The xy rods have ball linear bearings  as the rods do not rotate. The others rotate therefore the non bal  bushings.

I don't see why the length of the xy would be different for direct drive?

Edited by Guest

Posted · direct drive

Can someone pm me and help to choose misumi parts ? :)

Posted · direct drive

Remember that there's a point where the improvement it's negligible. Also if you want to really pimp it out, try to get someone yo laser cut divon the um2 frame (it's on github) and cut down the sound/vibrations of the wood resonance. Also, other great upgrade could be to use the um2 feeder motor or a bondtech planetary geared feeder. Also ofc you could go even further in and buy from ultimaker resellers a full um2 hotend/plastic/fans/olsson and improve the full printer, but all that might cost just the same of a um2 (taking the umo+ price plus all the pimp-my-car route).

A great shaft/rods/pulleys will improve the prints, specially at fast speeds. But one of the most important thinks to pimp it's the cooling (specially if you plan to print pla). And now that it's a great adventure. Specially if you choose the crossflow fan approach...

Posted · direct drive

Have you read through This thread?

Yes did it once. maybe im blind but cant see some1 telling custom lenghts for x y 8mm.

I dont wanna buy flexible couplings or shafts when Im not clear about both ends.

Edited by Guest

Posted · direct drive

Yes did it once. maybe im blind but cant see some1 telling custom lenghts for x y 8mm.

I dont wanna buy flexible couplings or shafts when Im not clear about both ends.

So you didn't read post number 3??

did it again, not finding anything. At page 3 I thought you ment :p

I see now 370mm ?

Edited by Guest

Posted · direct drive

did it again, not finding anything. At page  3 I thought you ment :p

I see now 370mm ?

You could also use this https://www.youmagine.com/designs/bearing-adapter-for-direct-drive-um-original adapter from @Dim3nsioneer

Posted · direct drive

I see now 370mm ?

You could also use this https://www.youmagine.com/designs/bearing-adapter-for-direct-drive-um-original adapter from @Dim3nsioneer

I found that if you use Nick Foley's direct drive corner, then you need a slightly shorter adapter, so I modified the @Dim3nsioneer adapter a little bit: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/short-bearing-adapter-for-direct-drive

hm yes I do know about them. But my printer is not accurate enough yet to success with such mods.

I see now 370mm ?

I found that if you use Nick Foley's direct drive corner, then you need a slightly shorter adapter, so I modified the @Dim3nsioneer adapter a little bit: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/short-bearing-adapter-for-direct-drive

Edited by Guest

Posted · direct drive

What is the dimensions of the original 8 bearings in the corners and the heads ball/bushings?