filament plugs nozzle after just a few layers

skinnyChicken

Posted (edited) · filament plugs nozzle after just a few layers

i need some help, i've been frustrated with my UM2 for some time now and i really want to get back to making awesome prints with it.

the problem started at prints getting 80% into the long (30hr) print and then failing due to nozzle plugging.

my solution:

- purchased and installed the olssen block nozzle

had a few prints succeed but now can't get a print to get past 1 or 2 layers without it failing due to what looks like an extrution problem, the filament gets jammed or just stops flowing. (i have grind at the extruder every time)

i did get some temp errors after installing the olssen block so i purchased and installed a new temp sensor, but this didn't change anything.

i think i've done about 100 starts to different prints tweaking things in cura, changing temps and every time having to clean the nozzle after the print fails.

could this be a coupler issue? i'm at wits end but i love printing so this is killing me.

i don't want to just blindly replace all the part so i'm asking the community for some input.

thank you

here are some images of the latest print fails...

5a33186d873f1_File2016-02-16102351PM.thumb.jpeg.be027208f32df93e5c6bdf25c7578022.jpeg[/media]

5a33186d873f1_File2016-02-16102351PM.thumb.jpeg.be027208f32df93e5c6bdf25c7578022.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Posted · filament plugs nozzle after just a few layers

Yeah I would also say Coupler, The new TFM ones you can get now are a lot better then the old ones and last a lot longer. The old ones can have a very short life span depending on your prints and settings.

yep, that's got to be it. my coupler was looking a bit burnt. i did test the filament flow through it and it was good, but must be other issues with it. i will order up a new one.

thank you for the help and sanity check :) hope to be printing again soon.

after a quick search, where does one buy the TFM coupler?

You can get it from the Gr5 Store Here

They call it the TFT coupler but same thing really. It works really good.

• Like 1

That would be my store fyi.

How do you know it's the nozzle? I mean if you have lots of dust or other materials (like if your nylon feeder is grinding to dust and getting stuck in the nozzle) it's possible but kind of unlikely. Is your printer in a very dusty environment?

Are you sure it's getting clogged and instead maybe the feeder is stripping the filament?

hi gr5

yes, i've ordered a few parts from you :) thank you.

it's not overly dusty, it's my house. i don't see a buildup of dust on the printer or the filament at all.

the print will always starts off good then it will fail at the second or 3rd layer no matter what the object is i'm printing. even when i'm not printing but have the nozzle heated up (185-210) it's hard to push the filament through manually. when i took the print head apart to put a new temp sensor in (i don't think it was the problem now) the coupler was crusty and impeded the filament. it looked good when i swapped out the original head for the olssen block, but it must have deteriorated since that point. i did get a few prints post olssen block install.

i think the feeder stripping was post filament flow stopping, then the feeder just continued to grind in place.

i did order a few couplers (the original kind) i'll give them a try. i will for sure be getting one of the long lasting higher temp couplers from the GR5 shop in the next little bit.

thank you everyone and i will repost once i give the new parts a try.

cheers

I'm still guessing that the feeder is grinding first and *then* it stops feeding at the nozzle.

What speed, temp, and layer height are you printing at? (I need to know speed and layer height to calculate volume per second).

Also is your cura shell setting an integral multiple of your nozzle size? Such as .4mm or .8mm or 1.2mm?

If it really is clogging at the nozzle, use the nozzle cleaner tool I sent you along with a cold pull. In other words heat to 200C, push firmly down on filament (can either remove bowden or do it through the motor) then insert the to to push any clogs up into the filament, then let it cool to around 95C and remove the cleaner tool while it's cooling. When it cools to about 95C and is at that temp for 10 seconds or longer, then pull out the filament to get any clogs out.

But I still suspect you are printing too cold or too fast and the feeder is grinding up the filament.

I've tried many different temps, but i keep it around 205 for colorfab pla.

i slow my prints right down... set in cura at 30 and then will slow it down even more on the printer (50% speed)

but i've tried many different configurations.

every time i get the clog i use the 'tool' and do the pull. i should have really taken a pic of the coupler before i cleaned it up, it was really congested with black burnt stuff that would have been impeding the filament for sure. i took a knife to it gently, but i could still feel the impediments as i put the filament in. i can even tell the difference when i put the nozzle to 210 and push it through that it's not flowing nice and smoothly like it has in the past.

once i get the new coupler i will start the testing again. hopefully it's all smooth sailing from there :) fingers crossed. and i will be posting my results, good or bad.

feeder, as soon as i was getting prints done with my UM2 i printed out roberts feeder. and i do use the settings in cura for the sizing of the nozzles. i've been sticking to the .4's since having issues to simplify and figure out what the issue was.

Remove the coupler and drill it out with a 1/8" drill bit. Replace it.

BTW, I'd suggest more like 210-215C for PLA.

at 15mm/sec, 205C is plenty hot!

wow, 15mm/sec... is that what speed you print at gr5? i thought slowing it down to 30mm/sec was extreme. it would take a week to print medium sized prints.

That's what speed he was printing it.

update: i got the new TFT 255c part for my um2 on monday. installed it on tuesday and wow, what a huge change. even just pushing filament through the new TFT i could feel how freely it moved.

i'm back in the business of printing out 3d objects again! i'm so excited to have the ultimaker working. the prints are so smooth, it feels like new again! maybe better!

thank you everyone and gr5 (i picked up the TFT from his shop)

• Like 1

I'm very glad it worked out. If you need nozzles don't go to me - try shop3d.ca first as he is already in canada.

i did go to them first, but unfortunately they didn't have the TFT 255 and the original parts were on back order. i have a number of nozzles now from you so I'm good for a bit. thank you for the heads up on shop3d.ca though.