What are the various parameters in the MATERIAL.TXT file?

wtjones

Posted · What are the various parameters in the MATERIAL.TXT file?

The default settings file for my Ultimaker 2+ contains a number of undefined parameters. For example, this is the default PLA entry:

[material]

name=PLA

temperature=210

temperature_210

temperature_195

temperature_230

temperature_240

temperature_240

bed_temperature=60

fan_speed=100

flow=100

diameter=2.85

What do the various temperature_XXX parameters do? Does file format document exist for the MATERIAL.TXT file?

I strongly suspect the _XXX parameters is a bug. I think you can just delete those. There was talk about some new bug with the materials settings in Marlin. Not sure if the bug was fixed but this could be related to that bug.

I strongly suspect the _XXX parameters is a bug.

I second your suspicion...

The material export function on the "+" is broken atm...

As far as i can see it's intended to look like this (at least this is what the import function expects):

[material]

name=PLA

temperature=210

temperature_0.4=210

temperature_0.25=195

temperature_0.6=230

temperature_0.8=240

temperature_1.0=240

bed_temperature=60

fan_speed=100

flow=100

diameter=2.85

The intention should be quite obvious now...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I have tested tikergnome seems to be right.

When loading a gcode file sliced for PLA & nozzle-size = 0.6mm the temperature is changed from 210° to 230°.

For a 0.8mm nozzle it's 240° .

This costed me quite some headake in the beginning, because I thought something's wrong with my system, because temperature was not set to 210° anymore.

Selfspeaking parameter-names like suggested by tinkergnome would be much more

unambigous.

Would be great if ULTIMAKER could confirm that assumptions and whether they plan to change according to tinkergnome's suggestion?

Would be great if ULTIMAKER could confirm that assumptions and whether they plan to change according to tinkergnome's suggestion?

Apparently the bug is fixed in the source files - it has even a number... :)

I think you can take this as a confirmation. :)

Let's see when a new release wil be published, probably soon?

Just to add to this thread. I have the new style Material.txt file in in use and it imports fine. I I turn off my Ultimaker 2 it now forgets the imported settings and I have to import them myself!

That was not the case before I upgrades to the +. May be relevant . . . . I do not know??

There is a SAVE command somewhere in the material settings I think. This should save the settings to the eeprom for retrieval on power up. If not there try among the "MOTION SETTTINGS". The save command there should save everything to the eeprom I think probably including the material settings.

I have just beginning to test new materials with my UM2E+ and I have the same problem FLG reported: my printer loads the file with the new material and I can use it, but when I turn off and on the printer the new material disappears and I have to import again the MATERIAL.TXT file.

I have not found any menu option to save to eeprom (neither in material setting nor in motion settings)

I have added the new material at the end of MATERIAL.TXT file:

[material]

name=ApolloX

temperature=250

temperature_0.40=250

retraction_length_0.40=6.50

retraction_speed_0.40=25.00

temperature_0.25=250

retraction_length_0.25=6.50

retraction_speed_0.25=25.00

temperature_0.60=250

retraction_length_0.60=6.50

retraction_speed_0.60=25.00

temperature_0.80=250

retraction_length_0.80=6.50

retraction_speed_0.80=25.00

temperature_1.00=250

retraction_length_1.00=6.50

retraction_speed_1.00=25.00

bed_temperature=90

fan_speed=100

flow=100

diameter=2.85

I have parameters about retraction because my original exported MATERIAL.TXT have them. I haven't read anything about them before and I suppose that with UM2+ retraction is a material specific parameter not controlled by CURA, the same way as nozzle temperature is. Can anyone confirm?

Does anybody know how to make importing materials permanent?