Interesting CC and non-commercial license hullabaloo going on

peetersm

Posted · Interesting CC and non-commercial license hullabaloo going on

This is a nice summary of an ongoing hullabaloo around legal issues of 3D prints, artist, CC license etc. This would apply to items posted on youmagine.com as well.

http://3dprint.com/120727/ebay-licensing-3d-models/

I know UM had a small attempt at starting a conversation about a licensing structure.

It was bound to happen, will be interesting to see how this develops, and if Thingiverse and Youimagine will change their policies to protect from abuse.

If this is allowed by law, it could jeopardise the willingness for users to upload their drawings, I know I would !

Posted (edited) · Interesting CC and non-commercial license hullabaloo going on

I have been reading it on the weekend too. Michael Weinberg also had an interesting blog (2) about it. (I don't know if the content is very different, but I know he is very experienced in these open source licenses).

Very curious to see how this plays out. And I was kinda surprised about the scale in which this happened. So big. It kinda felt to me like it was about licenses (and their heft) than it was about the actual models. Like a statement. Does this make sense to anyone? (even though after reading some quotes I haven't read before, the 'sellers' don't appear like they have done a lot of reading about what they are violating..)

Edited by Guest

I think this makes for an interesting discussion.

-These guys take models, print them and sell them.

-3D hubs get send models, print them, and get money for their effort/plastic.

Are the two different? Well they advertise differently, that's for sure(they even sell things based on Thingiverse screenshots). But is every 3Dhubs owner checking copyright and refusing to print something?

Isn't a customer of 3D hubs simply paying your plastic and expertise and time, rather than the model? Would it be different if someone walked up to you and said, can I borrow your printer for 3 hours, oh and your plastic, and can you help me? I'll pay you for it!

Yup yup:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Printed-Labyrinth-Gift-Box-for-Holidays-Birthdays-or-special-occasions-/262146385584?hash=item3d092466b0:g:zj8AAOSwLzdWSVa-

Thanks to @darkdvd for notifying me. First a Kickstarter and now an Ebay-auction with my stuff. In a way it's flattering but on the other hand it's pretty damn annoying.

Posted (edited) · Interesting CC and non-commercial license hullabaloo going on

If you don't want your stuff stolen, then don't share it (or watermark it). Once you upload it on the internet, expect it to be used not appropriately, that's why i don't share anything that i make money from.

Learned that one 15 years ago, hasn't changed then, doesn't change now. Protect your stuff.

Source: Me, ex-professional photographer (fashion/event/sport).

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Are the two different? Well they advertise differently, that's for sure(they even sell things based on Thingiverse screenshots). But is every 3Dhubs owner checking copyright and refusing to print something?

Isn't a customer of 3D hubs simply paying your plastic and expertise and time, rather than the model? Would it be different if someone walked up to you and said, can I borrow your printer for 3 hours, oh and your plastic, and can you help me? I'll pay you for it!y

Good questions, I just joined 3d hubs so I could take part in the UM contest, I'll have to read up on what their policy is on printing non-commercial licensed models.

Isn't a customer of 3D hubs simply paying your plastic and expertise and time, rather than the model? Would it be different if someone walked up to you and said, can I borrow your printer for 3 hours, oh and your plastic, and can you help me? I'll pay you for it!

Good question! Got me thinking. I think the difference in respecting the license or violating it would be in what you pay through 3D Hubs. If you only reimburse the 'maker' for the filament used, he is not making any money and therefor it is no commercial use. Kinda like in your example. If you also start paying for his time he is offering a service, which is commercial use. What do you think?

And then there is also the use of the 3D Print. Is it being used at home, or in a professional setting? Obviously that is out of 3D Hubs radar, but this should be affected by the license too.

I always compare these things like a printing service like 3dhubs is...

The difference is not that easy to see i think... I know that the maker is supposed not to print copyrighted models (for example a mickey mouse statue), but on the other hand who wants to spend time to find out if the object you are asked to print has a licence or not?

And yes we do make a (small) profit at 3dhubs, it's not the just the cost of the filament, but it's true it isn't that much of money.

Either way, i think you can counter these problems by uploading your designs with a paid fee like on cults or pinshape (or many others).

Everything that exists can be copied, if you release it or not it's the same (assuming it's something good that draws attention). One of the french users of the community found one of his designs on a famous website lately, on there you can find many copies of mostly anything

Or because the 'transaction' (profitable or not (filament/time) always takes place under the flag of 3DHubs, which is an organisation, it always undermines the NC license?

Well, nothing is really safe. Even if it is not on the internet, like a physical thing, it can be reverse-engineered.

I think everyone is upset due to the crazy margin, and the fact that they use the original screenshots.

If I were to charge that through a hub, everyone would think the client would be stupid. On eBay I would be a villain.

One of their points about making it avaliable for all is valid, we all want that(if you post on thingiverse)

We would be OK with it printed on hubs, as the user would pick it, and the margin is acceptable most of the time.

For example, a roommate wanted a Nike of Samothrake for her study in archeology, in colorfabb blueish white, she paid for the roll, leftovers was my "payment". Is that NC or C?

It's the scale, purpose, and margin that determine if we the ok with this.

If we'd follow NC strictly, I'd say it limits us all, designers, Ultimaker, in the end us owners that just want to print something cool.

Official answer from Makerbot about this "sad" story :

http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2016/02/24/your-rights-when-you-upload-to-thingiverse