Um2+ stops extruding during print.

Posted · Um2+ stops extruding during print.

Recently my printer has stopped extruding mid print. Within 5 mins or so.

The settings have not changed. I have printed some great things, and then now

With the same material using the same settings is has happened.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ya71IwpTg5YVVSaWRxNnRETFk

Literally the prints before: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1ya71IwpTg5NU8zcnY3WEdTTGs

I was wondering why might have caused this? Shouldn't be settings because it's all the same.

I of course cleaned out the tip.

Have you checked the PTFE coupler?

https://ultimaker.com/en/tips-tricks/19619-ulti-evening-maintenance

https://ultimaker.com/en/manuals/250-disassembly

Is the feeder grinding the filament? Or is the feeder stopping?

The coupler should be ok, I actually went through an entire roll and swapped my unit over to the 1.75 kit which came with a new one. So I havent even used the new one for a 3rd of a roll yet.

I watched it, It seems to make a click sound ( just one ) and stops extruding. If I press the lever on the feeder it works again. I took it apart and cleaned it out.

So the feeder motor is still moving, but the filament isn't?

Maybe there just isn't enough pressure on the filament.

Did you adjust the pressure on the feeder when you switched to 1.75mm filament?

I'm all out of ideas past that.

Posted (edited) · Um2+ stops extruding during print.

So the feeder motor is still moving, but the filament isn't?

Maybe there just isn't enough pressure on the filament.

Did you adjust the pressure on the feeder when you switched to 1.75mm filament?

I'm all out of ideas past that.

I have tried adjusting it both ways and still seem to get the issue.

Is there a certain setting I should try?

The settings I have been using like I said before were good for 60+ hours. So it's weird im getting this issue. The feeder still moves the filament when I'm using the move material feature. But during prints it just reaches a point makes a click sound and just stops pushing the filament. Everything else is moving still, feeder is still going like normal but the filament isn't.

The filament like I said is being grabbed because it does have marks all along it like it should.

When I look inside the head the filament is no longer reaching the hotend, but is not bent, or stuck in a way that implies that filament is being pushed inside anymore.

Idk, all my retraction settings are standard, it's almost like it reaches a point to retract, makes that click sound and doesn't push it back.

Edited by Guest

It sound like it is the PTFE coupler... How hot are you printing?

Or there is too much friction in the bowden tube...

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/17279-i2k-insulator-duptef-couplers

You know what... try running with NO retractions.

That is an interesting idea. Maybe the filament gets wider in the hot end and the when it retracts up into the PTFE coupler it is getting jammed.

Try no retractions as a test. When you modified it for 1.75mm, what all did you change?

Is there a special PTFE couple for 1.75mm?

Is there a special hot end / nozzle for 1.75mm?

Is there a special bowden tube for 1.75mm?

• Like 1

You know what... try running with NO retractions.

That is an interesting idea. Maybe the filament gets wider in the hot end and the when it retracts up into the PTFE coupler it is getting jammed.

Try no retractions as a test. When you modified it for 1.75mm, what all did you change?

Is there a special PTFE couple for 1.75mm?

Is there a special hot end / nozzle for 1.75mm?

Is there a special bowden tube for 1.75mm?

I use this tube: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJDE67G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I use this kit: http://gr5.org/store/index.php/um/1-75mm-conversion-kit-without-bowden.html

And this: http://gr5.org/store/index.php/um/i2k-insulator.html

( I could never get this to work. the printing just doesnt extrude with it on. It extrudes just fine when i load material and right before the print starts. But when the print starts it just doesnt extrude. )

Will try no retractions real quick. I also tried cutting off a decent length off my filament. and use a fresher tip. Got through 1 short print. Then did the same thing on the next print.

Edit- Two prints came out fine with retraction length and speed set to Zero.

Edited by Guest

Maybe the filament gets wider in the hot end and the when it retracts up into the PTFE coupler it is getting jammed.

I think this is EXACTLY what is happening to me, I've had SOOOOOOO many failed prints lately and every time I take off the bowden tube I see a wrecking ball of filament at the end, which is too big to retract into the tube.

Gonna also give the 0 retraction thing a try cause this is getting very frustrating.

Maybe the filament gets wider in the hot end and the when it retracts up into the PTFE coupler it is getting jammed.

I think this is EXACTLY what is happening to me, I've had SOOOOOOO many failed prints lately and every time I take off the bowden tube I see a wrecking ball of filament at the end, which is too big to retract into the tube.

Gonna also give the 0 retraction thing a try cause this is getting very frustrating.

I might have solved my issue. Just gotta wait a few days.

Did you upgrade anything on your machine? Im using the 1.75mm block. Might have found an issue with a combination of the Bowden,Teflon and i2k

I might have solved my issue. Just gotta wait a few days.

Did you upgrade anything on your machine? Im using the 1.75mm block. Might have found an issue with a combination of the Bowden,Teflon and i2k

I was hopeful it solved mine, but it worked out for a single print, now back to being an expensive paper weight. I've upgraded a few things on mine, which is a UM2 Original.

* Olsson Block (3mm) - 0.4 nozzle

* iRoberts Feeder

* 35W Heater

* DUPTEF + i2k

I'm just getting what seems friction around where the DUPTEF Coupler and Bowden tube meet. I had replaced the Bowden tube and DUPTEF coupler with in the past few weeks, so I'd "hope" they don't wear out that quickly. I even bought a new Frabrikator Mini printer just so I can continue my printing projects since I was so fed up with this UM2.

But my last print was a Feeder Guide w/Oiler for the iRoberts Feeder, I'm hoping against all hope that will help with my issue. Otherwise I guess I will have to throw more money at the problem and get the soon to be released "UM2 to UM2+ Upgrade Kit."

/rant

I watched it, It seems to make a click sound ( just one ) and stops extruding. If I press the lever on the feeder it works again. I took it apart and cleaned it out.

This could be the filament coming off the feeder wheel.

As the filament is smaller and more flexible it could be bending inside the feeder and coming off the idler roller or hobbled feeder driver. Then when you press the leaver it straightens up and then keeps gonig

Oh and if you are using the 1.75mm kit then you cant use the i2K as this is for 2.85mm filament only. You will end up with a pocket in between the PTFE coupler and Heaterblock which will give you heaps of issues

Oh and if you are using the 1.75mm kit then you cant use the i2K as this is for 2.85mm filament only. You will end up with a pocket in between the PTFE coupler and Heaterblock which will give you heaps of issues

I ordered one (I2K) for 1.75mm at 3dsolex.

Oh, didn't realize that they had one

No they don't but if you ask Carl he can make them. You know he's so nice :D

Edit. Oh yes they sell it:

http://gr5.org/store/index.php/1-75mm-filament-products/1-75mm-i2k-insulator.html On gr5 it's listed

Edited by Guest

@Giogiogio4 check what I2K you got as the one you linked to is the wrong size. As neotko points out there is one for 1.75 from the gr5 store.

@Giogiogio4 check what I2K you got as the one you linked to is the wrong size. As neotko points out there is one for 1.75 from the gr5 store.

The jamming was without the i2k. I couldn't even get that to work at first.

I'm having many issues. this is getting to be very frustrating. Maybe one of you can help me out on webcam tomorrow or something.

My issue is that. Without any change of settings and after a good number of successful prints.

The printer when loading material will jam. It catches the part on the teflon. So I have been hand feeding it. No issue just had to hand feed it.

But now during prints, the filament stops extruding. I hear a few clicking sounds from the feeder when the filament catches on something and thats it. I look inside at the filament and it seems to have a swollen tip and can no longer fit back down. I cleaned the tip with the atomic method and even fire. Still does it.

If I turn off retraction ( with are at normal/ default settings ) The print gets a little further. But will fail unless I manually press the lever on the feeder. The feeder works during the " move material" option just fine.

At this moment I have no clue what to do. I have a pretty expensive paper weight for the past week and a half. The machine is literally a month old.

The printer when loading material will jam. It catches the part on the teflon. So I have been hand feeding it. No issue just had to hand feed it....

Sounds like we are very much having the same issue, just mine is the original UM2 with a bunch of fun upgrades. I even ordered a couple of the TFT Couplers, in hopes my retractions settings were what messed with my current DUPTEF coupler. But I doubt that will fix it, since I JUST replaced that with a new one.

I even tried printing one of these widgets hoping that I just needed to make a straighter path for my filament, but didn't seem to change anything:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-bowden-clip-and-guide

For me, I still have the original spring compressing the coupler, so maybe that is my issue. Just getting compressed to much and is pushing inward on the filament. Maybe I'll take a drill to one of my extra ones and hope that helps.

Anyone think they could webcam with my tomorrow and see if they could help me out?

About 8 Hours on onward from this post.

@Giogiogio4

You use um2+ with ptfe and i2k from gr5 right? So you have the metal thingy that um2+ uses to keep the preassure on right?

Try to make a photo of the ptfe and check for deformations. Easiest way to check that it's to take out the ptfe, insert a filament peace and 'spin' the ptfe. If you don't see any weird deformation when spins, then nevermind. If you see that it woobles, maybe the metal thingy it's putting more preassure that needed.

Just a theory...

@Giogiogio4  

You use um2+ with ptfe and i2k from gr5 right? So you have the metal thingy that um2+ uses to keep the preassure on right?

Try to make a photo of the ptfe and check for deformations. Easiest way to check that it's to take out the ptfe, insert a filament peace and 'spin' the ptfe. If you don't see any weird deformation when spins, then nevermind. If you see that it woobles, maybe the metal thingy it's putting more preassure that needed.

Just a theory...

Stopped using the i2k, like stated previously. And have tried both the Teflon and the stock coupler with no difference.

I use one similar to that. I don't know if it is really doing anything. If I forget to put it on, nothing really changes.

There are so many variables that could be causing Giogiogio4's problems. The frustrating part is that he got good prints for a while and then all of a sudden... crap.

I use a roller bearing spool holder positioned below my machine to make sure that there is the least amount of resistance on the filament before it goes into the feeder. And it goes into the feeder rather straight.

Stock Ultimaker 2 feeder. I think I might be the only person still using the stock feeder.

PTFE Coupler with I2K insulator.

Stock Ultimaker 2 hot end (heater and nozzle) and stock fan shroud. Again, I am probably one of the very few that haven't changed those parts.

I am using 2.85mm filament. Any chance you would switch back?

Giogiogio4, did you ever address the loose wires attached to you fans? If the fan that cools the "heat sink" above the nozzle is ON sometimes and OFF sometimes that could cause your intermittent results. Same goes for the part cooling fans, but those should only affect the quality of the print, not the jamming.

Edited by Guest

Oh hey. Im kinda in the down point atm. Busy with projects for class. But I have been putting together my Plexiglass door and stuff while I wait for new parts to try out to come in the mail.

The fan issue was me. One of the wires got stock in the black plastic. So it broke a little.

So when it touched metal it was shorting itself thus making the other fan go into overdrive.

Pretty straightforward. Fixed that with a little tape.

Other issues.. I will look more into them this weekend. Im hoping it's just the teflon. I will try swapping back to 2.85 and see how that goes. Im assuming it's something small and stupid

causing the issue.

I use one similar to that. I don't know if it is really doing anything. If I forget to put it on, nothing really changes.

There are so many variables that could be causing Giogiogio4's problems. The frustrating part is that he got good prints for a while and then all of a sudden... crap.

I use a roller bearing spool holder positioned below my machine to make sure that there is the least amount of resistance on the filament before it goes into the feeder. And it goes into the feeder rather straight.

Stock Ultimaker 2 feeder. I think I might be the only person still using the stock feeder.

PTFE Coupler with I2K insulator.

Stock Ultimaker 2 hot end (heater and nozzle) and stock fan shroud. Again, I am probably one of the very few that haven't changed those parts.

I am using 2.85mm filament. Any chance you would switch back?

Giogiogio4, did you ever address the loose wires attached to you fans? If the fan that cools the "heat sink" above the nozzle is ON sometimes and OFF sometimes that could cause your intermittent results. Same goes for the part cooling fans, but those should only affect the quality of the print, not the jamming.

Im still waiting for the other 1.75 Teflons to come in the mail. But i swapped back the 2.85 stuff ( thank god for 5 min quick switches ) and started up a print. Right out of the box it loaded everything just fine. And it's printing just fine.

It's something about the 1.75 kit thats not working right. Hopefully its just the teflon, I honestly felt no difference between the two. And I used the 2.85 stock one a good 120 hours of printing. compared to the 1.75 one. Maybe the off brand ones go back quicker?

Maybe the 1.75 is too flexible during retracts? Who knows. But if anyone else is having issues I will posy again when i switch back over with the new teflon.