No printing after upgrade to Ultimaker2+

Posted · No printing after upgrade to Ultimaker2+

I just upgraded my UM2 to the UM2+ using the upgrade kit. I successfully upgraded firmware through Cura as instructed, and then re-aligned the glass for the new nozzle height. All seems okay at this point.

I load some PLA, and the new geared extruder thing works great, feeding my PLA right into the new print nozzle. The heating is clearly improved on the new nozzle, because the melted PLA strand emerges from the nozzle within a second or less. Great!

Not so great though. When I try to do a test print, the print head moves to the upper left, and the LCD says "heating up" ... but the nozzle does not heat up. I can feel it, it is cold. No matter how long I wait, the nozzle never heats up, and printing never starts!? Now, the strange thing is that I know the nozzle works and heats up because when I load or reload PLA, it clearly is melting the PLA and dripping strands of PLA through the nozzle. But, when I print, no heat.

Further, there is never any error message, no failure code or message, and it never aborts. It just sits there "heating up" forever (I have waited up to 8 hours! same thing).

What could be wrong????

Maybe the wire broke in between when you heated it manually and when you went to print. The most likely thing to cause this problem is a bad heater wire. It may have fallen out - you have to stick it pretty far in to the hole in the terminal block. It's easy to mess that step up.

Try heating it manually again to make sure that still works - what did you do "change filament"? Try that again.

Make sure, like sure sure. That both heater cables are 'in' sometimes you slide in and you think it's in but it isn't. Get a flash light (telefone flash or alike) and check it. Also if you pull the cable and it goes out, it wasn't 'in'. (Ofc power all down before all this)

Check your selected material profile on the printer:

Material -> Settings

Or - on the heatup screen: Goto "TUNE" and check the target temperatures for buildplate and nozzle. If they are not set (zero) the print will never start...

This could be the heated bed, check that the connections on the heated bed are tight.

When you change materials, it only heats the nozzle so it seems like that's working fine. But if you start a print, it heats the bed up to temperature before the nozzle, so if the bed never heats to temperature, your nozzle will not start either and your print will sit idle.

So, first, go to maintenance -> advanced -> heatup buildplate, set to 60. Watch it for a bit, the temperature should slowly climb, if it doesn't you probably have a loose connection to the bed.

• Like 1