Heat shield for the heated plate

Posted · Heat shield for the heated plate

Hi All

I am printing a moulding that has quiet a bit of overhang I am finding the heat of the Build Plate it hindering the print I want to Keep the Heat (60d) to help with adhesion but want to shield the over hang, what would be the best shielding I could use I tried foil sandwich with a fan sat on it.

Any help appreciated...

I don't know what the part looks like but my first thought was that maybe it would be possible to print a sacrificial "protective shell" right underneath the overhang to shield it?

Or maybe you could try printing on a cold bed with blue tape like in the olden times?

Posted (edited) · Heat shield for the heated plate

I dont know if it is of any help but I have a cork plate kapton taped to the bottom of my heatbed to keep the warmth up in the bed and glass plate, rather than down into the wooden z-stage of my UMO... Maybe you could use this material as well?

I that case my approach would be something like:

1. Get a cork plate of some relatively small thickness (these are typically available in eg. hobby stores)

2. Using the "pauseAtZ" plugin for cura during your slicing,  print the bottom layers up to a height where you start to have your overhang problems.

3. while the printer is paused and "parked" at eg. x,y = 0,0, carefully place the cork plate with a cutout the size of the model, down over the half finished print (maybe fix it in the sides with eg. bulldog clips)

4. Resume printing

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the replies they are both interesting. I will post a picture.. I made a small gantry with 3 1inch fans to also try and cool the overhang down I will post that at the same time...

Thanks

• Like 1