PTFE Coupler for UM2+

Posted · PTFE Coupler for UM2+

Is the PTFE coupler for the upgrade kit different from the coupler in the UM2? We have 3 UM2 printers that we've had to change out the coupler, as they burn out after time. Just wondering if the PTFE coupler that is listed on the spare parts page is the for the newer + printers.

I would like to order a few at the same time as ordering the upgrade kits but want to make sure it is the right one.

I'm 90% sure they are the same one. I have the upgrade kits and some recent PTFE parts. Note that roughly January 2016 they started shipping newer PTFE parts made out of a much higher temp PTFE (same material as the ones from 3dsolex I think). You can tell which is which because the newer ones are more transluscent (you can see through them so if you put them on a dark table they are darker).

• Like 1

There are two versions (three if you count the first one from years ago that looks very similar to the newest), the old one that looks like chalk in colour that is used on UM2s and the new one that is more translucent (TFM) that is used on the UM2+.

@gr5 it sounds strange that you've received TFM parts if you've ordered PTFEs. That shouldn't happen I don't think, they have different part numbers and in our last batch of spare parts (last week) we got both types.

Note that using the TFM with the spring on the UM2 can be problematic. In some cases the pressure from the spring is not enough to keep it pressed down.

Note that using the TFM with the spring on the UM2 can be problematic. In some cases the pressure from the spring is not enough to keep it pressed down.

What difference does the material of the PFTE make on spring pressure? Ive had the spring move up before due to hydraulic pressure even with the old pftes, and really it doesnt make much difference apart from pushing too hard during atomic pulls, it otherwise didnt effect the quality of my prints at all.

Posted (edited) · PTFE Coupler for UM2+

Fair enough, but if the pftes are identical in size i still dont see any correlation between density and spring tension. Im just gonna assume they didnt see any hydraulic pressure from the old ones (in their experience) and did with the new ones, hence made the claim. In my opinion the way you replace the spring and perhaps some other parts and distances is what causes the movement, not the density of the pfte, i just cant see it making any difference.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · PTFE Coupler for UM2+

Well to simplify things - just get the PTFE isolators from 3dsolex!  :)

The 3dsolex ones work with either printer and are rated for 255C continuous with no temperature related wear (just physical abrasion wear and they should last a very long time).

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

Lol, well thats that!