Ultimaker with increased build volume

ecoscan

Posted · Ultimaker with increased build volume

Hi Guys

Just wondering if there are some developments re. a larger Ultimaker. In previous discussions it was referred to as (possibly) an Ultimaker 3+.

I have just finished a feasibility study and concluded that I can start manufacturing my products using 3D-printing. However the build plate is a bit small which means I currently have to glue the components. For this I use ordinary PVC cement and it appears to work fantastic for the PLA that I use. Now this is however not desirable for a number of reasons. Having said that, accuracy and aesthetics are not so much an issue but it is really productivity and reliability that I am looking for.

Before embarking on an adventure with other printers with a large build volume I would like to see if I could purchase a (number of) Ultimakers that are build with a build plate of approx. 300 x 300 or there abouts. Simply(?) a standard UM2(+) with extended rods and so forth. I don't need the extended height.

Any reply welcome.

There are a ton of problems with larger printers. It's not just "simply" increasing the axis (Only increasing the length will mess up tolerances / sagging, etc).

If you do manage to get that right (at which point you already redesigned the head & entire carriage system), you also need to swap out the bed & power supply (as the current external power supply is the biggest you can get). Due to legal issues Ultimaker (or any commercial company) can't sell this as a ready to go product (selling kits for this however is allowed)

Even if you get all this, you still have the problem of it being freakishly slow. A "normal" ultimaker has a build volume of +- 223 x 223 x 205 = 10194445 cubic mm

Your increased version would have 300 x 300 x 205 = 18450000 cubic mm.

This usually means that printing on full bed will take about 1.8 times as much (and you only added 80 mm on both ends!)

Thanks for quick respond.

I appreciate that it is not simply a matter of longer rods and bigger box and build plate and must admit that my gut find the rods indeed a bit thin for such lengths. Some Chinese manufacturers though (up to approx 400 x 300 build plate) have done this, look a bit like a stretched UM and seem to work and are being sold (legal issues?) even though some reviews are a bit 'scary'. I find it a bit strange that Ultimaker, considering its commercial succes, has not entered this avenue (albeit as a kit with stronger rods, etc) as it is a logical fact that this too will find a huge market closing another gap towards hard-tooling.

I am building relatively large flat 'trays' and despite your arguments about a large printer being 'freakishly slow' (you are just building bigger products, print speed may be slightly less considering added inertia) I think that I would gain massive time (and simpler and more reliable design) printing them in one-go instead of all the warming-up, cooling down, gluing, tolerance issues and whatnot.

Note: I bought an UM2 based on specs re. build surface of 223 x 223 which turned out to be a mere 195 x 195

So from your much appreciated reply I understand that no efforts are being undertaken but if I am wrong I would be more than happy to hear from Ultimaker (community) or others on what the status is. Meanwhile I will have to conclude to go on outlook for an alternative.

your best bet would be to buy a UM+ and rebuild the frame to the width you need,

I have doubled the height, and did need to adjust some parts like longer wires, and adjusted z-plaform and rails.

adding sideways 10cm to the construction would probably be doable, just make larger body panels, and enlarging the z-stage.

but I don't know if you can get a heated bed at that format :)

you might have to change the rods that support the print head to a thicker diameter.

• Like 2

look a bit like a stretched UM and seem to work and are being sold (legal issues?) even though some reviews are a bit 'scary'. I find it a bit strange that Ultimaker, considering its commercial succes, has not entered this avenue (albeit as a kit with stronger rods, etc) as it is a logical fact that this too will find a huge market closing another gap towards hard-tooling.

We have done research in this area, but there is a massive difference in getting one printer to work and getting thousands to work. Those chinese sellers tend to not care about the quality. I do.

There is no legal issue with selling Ultimaker clones, as long as you don't use our trademarks.

I am building relatively large flat 'trays' and despite your arguments about a large printer being 'freakishly slow' (you are just building bigger products, print speed may be slightly less considering added inertia) I think that I would gain massive time (and simpler and more reliable design) printing them in one-go instead of all the warming-up, cooling down, gluing, tolerance issues and whatnot.

Fair enough. My responses are rather standard as most people seem to overlook these things.

Note: I bought an UM2 based on specs re. build surface of 223 x 223 which turned out to be a mere 195 x 195  

The build surface is 223 by 223. There are small area's (the clips) that you can't print. It's definately not 195 x 195. I just did a ton of tests to get the right sizes in the new Cura, so i'm pretty confident about this.

• Like 1

I was looking at the Taz 5 before I bought my Ultimaker2. It has a larger build area, which might be as large as you need. I ultimately went with the Ultimaker2 because the build quality was much better, even though I gave up a little build volume and duel extruders. Hopefully you guys will get around to making an official duel extruder for this machine!