Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
cloakfiend

Can i adjust just the bottom layer?

Im using cura 15.04.02 and dont like change, so i was just curios if i could edit the gcode or do something to save me printing some of my bottom layer (or first layer), as with high res it takes ages before it even gets started and used loads of filament.

Edited by Guest

You can adjust the Initial layer setting. It's normally set to 0.3mm and as long as your bed is leveled good then you can reduce this down to 0.1 or even slightly lower. I have successfully set it to 0.06 before but this was onto blue tape.

You can also turn the skirt off or reduce the skirt distance if your worried about wasting filament.

If you're willing to give new cura a go (which it doesn't sound like you are :) ), it gives you the option to set the top and bottom thicknesses separately (after toggling the visibility of that setting in... settings). So you could set the bottom to 0 and only get the infill pattern instead of a solid sheet.

Oh, robert it sounds tempting... I may try. Ill give it a go it cant hurt. I hope its as good as cura 15.04.02 in terms of surface quality. It will save me a ton of filament. A quick question, but if i put it to zero and zero infill, it will be hollow right? If i use support does it count inside or not?

Which version number is the one you would recommend? Just in case i get a different one by mistake?

Edited by Guest

the initial splash appeared cut halfway off my screen instead of the centre which was annoying as it meant i could only see half the window, but i gathered it was asking me which printer to select, even though the um2 was not visible due to it being cut off the screen.