Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
qmaker

Help with a new issue

Hi guys, I have owned my Ultimaker2 for a long time now. I have encountered all kinds of issues along the way that were resolved with sometimes simple and sometimes more difficult solutions.

Like many I am anxiously waiting for the 2+ upgrade. But, until it comes I have an issue that has been getting worse and has only been exacerbated by my interim solution.

Here is the short of it. The bowden tube, the collet and the clip are no longer holding the bowden tube tight and in the proper position. As a result it forces the tube up during extrusion throughout the print. After the print is finished, I can either immediately print something by pushing the tube back into position and keeping things hot. However, if I wait any period of time the end of the filament creates a ball in the hot end and will not extrude without pulling the clip and bowden tube out and cutting and replacing the fresh end back in. There is not a clog in the hot end. I believe it is forming the ball of obstruction before it enters the nozzle.

As a result of removing the bowden tube over and over to cut the filament it has become even looser. I have printed a clip that was on youmagine that helps hold the bowden tube down by attaching to one of the main head bolts. The problem persists. Any suggestions to keep me printing while waiting for the upgrade. I hate to buy a new tube collet and clips plus shipping just to get me by until I receive the newer parts with the kit.

Thanks,

Q

Remove the bowden and collet. Look inside the collet, do you see the small metal blades in there? Are they clogged by remnants of the bowden? Try cleaning them with a needle or something to remove the plastic so that they can bite into the bowden properly again.

Cut off 1cm of the bowden tube to give the collet a fresh new area to grip. Make sure you cut it off as straight as you possibly can.