UM2+ & new cause for underextrusion

kris

Posted · UM2+ & new cause for underextrusion

A while ago my new UM2+ started suffering from underextrusion. I gave him the normal treatment that I know from the other UM2s; changed the coupler (had lasted for 500h) and cleaned the nozzle. Nothing would help.

However I had noticed a single kicking noise from the feeder once. So I opened and checked. Nothing.

Assembled it again, inserted new filament and again, a single klicking sound and underextrusion.

Opened the feeder again and found this; there is a lever which pushes the filament against the driver wheel with a ball bearing. That lever has two halves and these did separate from each other. The ball bearing got off center incapable to guide the filament.

I fixed the problem by drilling two holes and connecting both halves with a screws, thus preventing them from separating again.

Prints perfectly again.

Hope this will help a few people. Fotor_146158963916435.thumb.jpg.ae3f24e069fb670f1df8fc484b7309c6.jpg

Fotor_146158963916435.thumb.jpg.ae3f24e069fb670f1df8fc484b7309c6.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing, I'll also forward this to quality control.

Do you know how it could separate? Does it look like the bearing broke or something?

I suspect a design flaw rather than a quality problem. Nothing will hold the two halves of the lever together effectively. I guess the casing is meant to do that. There are a few underextrusion problems on the forum where people have traced the cause to the feeder.

A screw fixes the problem.

IMG_20160425_220924.thumb.jpg.05461b7c0d249a6d7d0a8009a16948bd.jpg

IMG_20160425_220924.thumb.jpg.05461b7c0d249a6d7d0a8009a16948bd.jpg

I have read the other thread and I talked to my colleague.

I'll reach out to you on a short notice to get a better understanding of the situation. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Thx ;)

Same thing here, 2 months UM2+ with low mileage. Just posted a link and comment to the German speaking community.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/20728-standige-underextrusion?page=1&sort=#reply-144750

But just driving a screw through the plastic is not my preferred solution.

I need my machines running 24/7. Makes me pretty pragmatic when chasing a solution to a given problem. I am sure Ultimaker will find a more elegant solution ;)

But this seems to be a true problem. The only one I could find so far. To bad my primary suspect was the coupler and I threw it away :(

Although it looked just fine after 500h.

Cheers

Hi @Kris, @Pilzefreak, @travis-womack, @larsgw, @anxjfarnorth,

I understand you had some issues with your Ultimaker 2+ feeder and what I understood from reading your posts you all shared similarities with a ticking sound coming from your feeder and under extrusion?

If not, could you describe your issue in a DM with me.

In that same DM, I want to ask if you could share with me if you have an Ultimaker 2+ or if you upgraded your Ultimaker 2 with an Extrusion upgrade.

If you have an Ultimaker 2+, could you share with me your serial number, and a date when and where you bought it?

We'll look into some data and may ask you to send us your feeder so we can look at it and send you a new proper feeder so you continue 3D printing.

Looking forward hearing from you, and our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Hi @Kris, @Pilzefreak, @travis-womack, @larsgw, @anxjfarnorth,

I understand you had some issues with your Ultimaker 2+ feeder and what I understood from reading your posts you all shared similarities with a ticking sound coming from your feeder and under extrusion?

If not, could you describe your issue in a DM with me.

In that same DM, I want to ask if you could share with me if you have an Ultimaker 2+ or if you upgraded your Ultimaker 2 with an Extrusion upgrade.

If you have an Ultimaker 2+, could you share with me your serial number, and a date when and where you bought it?

We'll look into some data and may ask you to send us your feeder so we can look at it and send you a new proper feeder so you continue 3D printing.

Looking forward hearing from you, and our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I had the Ultimaker 2 with an Extrusion upgrade, and I sent my printer into UM here in the UK and they replaced the feeder and got good prints from it for about 6 hours and when I got it I got about 1 hour and it started doing the same thing before. (please contact Alex at the support desk he is very knowledgeable of the situation) we think its getting caught up at the exit point into the Bowden tube. I'm currently looking to design a new housing with a metal guide rather then a plastic guide.

I glued my plastic half's together to prevent it from splitting like above, I didn't hear a massive clicking sound I cant put my finger on the sound I heard. the only cure to fix my underextrustion was to go back to the original UM2 feeder.

I find it odd that I had two bad feeders and everyone else is having good ones........this was really hurting our business as well having a printer broken for 3 weeks. (I love UM printer but I want to join the club with the new working upgrade!)

... we think its getting caught up at the exit point into the Bowden tube. I'm currently looking to design a new housing with a metal guide rather then a plastic guide.

Hi anxjfarnoth, what type of filaments are you using? You are talking about the tiny gap between the driving wheel and the place where the bowden sits? I thought that might be an issue only with flexible filaments.

... we think its getting caught up at the exit point into the Bowden tube. I'm currently looking to design a new housing with a metal guide rather then a plastic guide.

Hi anxjfarnoth, what type of filaments are you using? You are talking about the tiny gap between the driving wheel and the place where the bowden sits? I thought that might be an issue only with flexible filaments.

I used "tried" to print with PLA(proper UM filament), Ninjaflex, alloy 910 and nothing seemed to work, and yes that's what I'm talking about. the hole has already showed elongation and you can see a clear lip on the back side of it.