Y-Axis Not Moving on Ultimaker Original

voltronx

Posted · Y-Axis Not Moving on Ultimaker Original

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to complete the build of the Ultimaker Original and am running into the issue of the printer head not moving along the Y-Axis at all. On the X-Axis, the movement is pretty smooth, as you can see in the videos below in both off-mode (printer head moved by my hand) and the on-mode (the printer moving the x-axis). However, on the Y-Axis, it doesn't even sound like the motor is trying to make any movement or sounds.

I've checked the short belt tension by the Y-motor and the wire connection on the bottom of the printer. I have also aligned all axes to ensure that everything is squared correctly. I suspected that the Y-motor could be the one giving me trouble, and switched the X and Y motors but even with it switched, the noise (hand movement) and non-movement (when printer is on) always happens on the Y-axis.

Please help if you may know the solution! Thank you in advance!

Here are the videos:

PRINTER IS OFF:

PRINTER WHEN ON:

Another thing! When I swap out the electric plug ins for X and Y axis, the extruder head does in fact start working in the Y-axis but now the X-axis will have no movement. Not sure if this piece of information does anything but just wanted to let you know... Very beginner here, so any help would be really appreciated! Thank you.

Hi Voltronx,

The last test you did really helps, cause this mean you have a failure in the y-channal drive, or the y-stepper drive circuit. I'll guess that this dirver unit is the same type for both axes.

Well, -unless there's another issue in the interconnection between the driver and the processor module.

This driver unit or module should be easy for you to get, if faulty.

Good Luck

Torgeir

Hi Voltronx,

Did not realize this is a new build. Congratulation!

Check the wiring to the y-stepper driver circuit. Since it is not working, there might be some issues, either the driver PCB or the related wiring.

If the fault still persists then swap those two units, in order to confirm that the Y-axis working with a new driver.

Good Luck.

Torgeir

When I listened again to your first video, I'll have to say that it sounds like there is a short circuit in one of the coils.

If both coils are shorted to each other, it is very hard to move the stepper.

Check the stepper driver board to see if there is any short between each coil output on the driver board. I.E. between the four pin going to the (Y)-stepper.

If you have a multimeter, remove the connector for the stepper motor before measuring.

Good luck.

When I listened again to your first video, I'll have to say that it sounds like there is a short circuit in one of the coils.

If both coils are shorted to each other, it is very hard to move the stepper.

Check the stepper driver board to see if there is any short between each coil output on the driver board. I.E. between the four pin going to the (Y)-stepper.

If you have a multimeter, remove the connector for the stepper motor before measuring.

Good luck.

Thank you for all of your comments! I checked all points below but still have not solved the issue.

1) Swapping the y-motor and x-motor plug ins in the driver board.

2) The two red colored limit switches wiring for Y-end stops were flipped, so I corrected plug ins for that (still did not resolve issue)

3) Checked short circuits on the driver board (ie: four pins are looking straight and healthy going into the Y-stepper)

4) Checked y-motor wiring one more time

Tomorrow I will switch the two motors (x and y) to triple check that the problem in fact doesn't lay there again...

Hi,

When you have swapped the connectors (x/y steppers), check that the "loaded" sound you have on the y-axe has moved to the x-axes. You can also check that the movement "friction" is about the same with both (x and y) connectors removed.

All this is to be done by pushing the extruder manually, without power.

Next and last thing to be done, is to swap just the two stepper driver PCB's, leaving all the remaining connectors and wiring in its original place/position. If the faults swap, you have a faulty "y-stepper PCB", that’s to be repaired or replaced.

Good luck in fault finding, -and hoping for success! :)

Torgeir.

Hi,

When you have swapped the connectors (x/y steppers), check that the "loaded" sound you have on the y-axe has moved to the x-axes. You can also check that the movement "friction" is about the same with both (x and y) connectors removed.

All this is to be done by pushing the extruder manually, without power.

Next and last thing to be done, is to swap just the two stepper driver PCB's, leaving all the remaining connectors and wiring in its original place/position. If the faults swap, you have a faulty "y-stepper PCB", that’s to be repaired or replaced.

Good luck in fault finding, -and hoping for success!  :)

Torgeir.

Torgeir, Thank you very much for the easy to understand steps to follow. I have tested the swapped motors and the Y-motor will not move no matter what, giving me the conclusion that the Y-motor PCB is faulty.

Before I try to replace the PCB, I noticed that one of the motors (initially the motor I placed for the Y-axis) has heavier friction when twisted with my fingers. It seems like they don't have equal movement in that way, does this need to be replaced as well?

In addition, I noticed that the sound difference still exists when moving the printer head in both directions even without the two X and Y motors secured in position. It seems like it's coming from the printer head area but I can't pinpoint what exactly the source is. Does this contribute to the Y-axis mobility problem too? Please see the below video to hear the sound and friction difference. Look forward to your thoughts on this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Voltronx

Hi Voltronx,

As I have listened to your video, there is this sharp clicking sound, just like a belt is trying to climb off a pulley. Have a closer look on the two belts (left and right), make sure they are aligned so the belts are aligned exactly in the center above the two shafts. The position of the pulleys (forward and aft) is the place to adjust if the belt do not align. I.E. If the belt is offset at the slider block, the closer the slider (where the belt is offset) is to the pulley the more the belt will tighten and try to climb off the pulley.

Also a little to high tension on the belt also increase the friction, and sometimes give some additional high pitch noise.

I'm sure that you'll make it after some adjustment and try. :)

The friction in steppers (with open wires) of same brand should be «about» the same, however when they are brand new they tend to differ a little...

Ok. Hoping for a good progress in fault finding and good luck.

Torgeir.

Indeed like @Torgeir says sounds like a belt

Best way I know to realign all the pulleys so they stay centered it's this:

DSC03107_display_large_preview_featured.jpg

Hi All,

An update on this, I have replaced the electronic circuit board to a new one with the assumption that the y-motor connector was faulty in the previous board. However, now the print head does not work in both X and Y directions. I have attached a video below that shows that both motors are moving but doesn't affect moving the print head. Any thoughts you might have on what is happening? I followed all the steps on re-mounting the electronic circuit board but am lost again. Thank you so much in advance, any help will help!

Best,

Voltronx

Posted (edited) · Y-Axis Not Moving on Ultimaker Original

Since the belt of both extruder do actually move. Are you sure that all the pulleys screws are tight?

Edited by Guest

Since the belt of both extruder do actually move. Are you sure that all the pulleys screws are tight?

Neotko, thank you for that catch! The pulley screw was loose above the X-axis motor. Still having trouble with getting the Y-motor though, even though all pulley screws are tight.

Didyou ever try to swap the motor connection to see if it's actually the motor?

lol. Clearly the pulley above the motor is loose. You need to tighten all 6 (six!) pulleys on each axis for things to work. You missed only 1 pulley on the Y axis.

X-motor was indeed the culprit! Thank you all for helping with a beginner like me... I will be fixing this with a new motor!

• Like 1

X-motor was indeed the culprit! Thank you all for helping with a beginner like me... I will be fixing this with a new motor!

If you need help locating a new motor read this post

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/21674-what-stepper-motor-does-ultimaker-2-use

Afaik umo/umo+/um2 use the same motor for the x/y

If you need help locating a new motor read this post

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/21674-what-stepper-motor-does-ultimaker-2-use

Afaik umo/umo+/um2 use the same motor for the x/y

Thank you neotko!