Ultimaker 2+: High Pitch Alarm during print bed heat up

Posted · Ultimaker 2+: High Pitch Alarm during print bed heat up

Ultimaker 2+: When I go to print, there is a period of time when the heatbed will heat up before the printing actually starts. During this process, I get a high pitch alarm noise that lasts for about 15-30 seconds and then stops. Does anyone know what that is indicating?

Eeh. There is no high pitched alarm on the Ultimaker (which is kind of the answer you don't want to hear...)

Could you make a video of this?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2+: High Pitch Alarm during print bed heat up

Could you check if it's exactly when the little fan goes on (when the hotend reach 40C) I get a weird pitch noise from my um2+ hotend fan, sometimes it goes off after 30secs or so, sometimes stays there and I need to turn off/on the machine because it's really annoying.

Edited by Guest

To test if it is the little fan: when the noise starts, just put your finger on the fan and stop it. It doesn't have enough power to cut off your finger. :)

If it is the fan indeed, that noise indicates its bearing is getting worn out or running dry. This is a typical problem of cheap bearings, also in computer fans, model railroad trains, and model cars. Don't leave it screaming, because that further wears out the bearing, and it slows down the fan and reduces cooling. In the beginning, after warming up, the noise may go away, but that does not solve the problem, and it will gradually get worse. If it is the fan, of course.

You could temporarily repair it by removing the fan, removing the sticker at the center of the blades so that the bearing becomes visible, and then oil that bearing. A drip of oil (of a sort that does not dry out easily) should do for several months. Then repeat when the noise restarts.

Don't use too much oil, or it goes flying everywhere, and you don't want that on your glass bed.

If your printer is still in warranty, of course it would be better to request a replacement fan.