UM Original re-aligning axis

LePaul

Posted · UM Original re-aligning axis

I probably do not need to do this....but I have been having difficulty with prints leaning on the Y axis

I just replaced the pulley with a new one that has two set screws which should help. I suspect the other one was working itself loose somehow.

But then I saw

about aligning the axis. In my assembly, I do not recall doing this.

I have loosened the pulleys but the set screws, no matter how hard i try, one winds up opposite the other.

What's the best method to complete the calibration if I can't access all the set screws?

Posted (edited) · UM Original re-aligning axis

Just screw one using one position, then move the head, use another number.

It doesn't matter if you screw one by one. It matters that when you screw one both alignment tools show that the axis are parallel.

Screw one, change position, adjust another, keep going.

Edited by Guest

LePaul make sure you tighten all 6 (SIX!) of the Y axis pulleys. Tighten the hell out of them. Usually it's the one hardest to get to - the one on the motor. You should be tightening so hard you are a little nervous about breaking the hex tool.

Well they are all tight again...I had loosened them in an attempt to do the XY calibration described in the video link. Unlike the video, I did not have access to all the set screws as easily as the presenter!

The new pulley for the Y motor has two set screws, which I cranked on as hard as I could. I had to seat it a little closer to the motor (1 mm) since the belt would rub the wood frame otherwise.

More testing tonight !

You can realign the pulleys by lossing the slideblocks part that pushes the belts. When that & pulleys screws are off you can rotate them manually to realign the pulley orientation.

I still have badly leaning test prints (Y axis) after replacing the pulley with a 2-set-screw model. Asides repeating the process of check the pulley and tightening the belt (already tight) again...where next to look?

I still have badly leaning test prints (Y axis) after replacing the pulley with a 2-set-screw model.  Asides repeating the process of check the pulley and tightening the belt (already tight) again...where next to look?

[/quote

Have you tried swapping the stepper board with the X one to see if that moves the problem to the X axis?

It might be oil on the belts also. Clean with alcohol just in case.

Did you tighten the hell out of the set screw on the motor? And the one above the motor (the 2 on the short belt). It's usually one of the ones on the short belt. Not the other 4 on the long belts that are easier to get to.

Hi guys

Well the motor pulley is fine, the marks I made on the motor shaft and hub has no movement

I traded the hex screw driver that comes with the UMO for an allen wrench and cranked all the set screws on the rods down. Each took a small turn when tweaked down.

The test print came out with no slant! No to cure the next issue...a suspected, worn out teflon coupler

If the pulleys aren't slipping then you are losing steps which is usually friction related. Make sure the short belt at the stepper isn't rubbing the wood - if it does it will twist each time you switch directions in Y. Also by now there will be lots of black dust under that region (on the stepper, also below the bed). If you see the dust then you need to move the belt 0.5mm farther from the wood. Maybe add some washers or other spacer to move the motor farther from the wood. Make sure the pulley on the motor is as close to the motor as possible without touching.

Also high friction can cause you to lose steps. Make sure X and Y friction is similar by pushing with power off. Make sure the end caps on the upper gantry rods isn't so tight that there is added friction there (easy to test - push head a bit, loosen screws on caps - try again).

Also clean all rods and oil the 4 that don't go through the head (the 2 through the head shouldn't need oil as they have ball bearings and oil can gunk them up although oil probably won't hurt much).

All good points as my replacement pulley was not as long as the pulley that came with the kit.

I had to adjust the spacing from the motor to the pulley. You are right....the belt would rub against the wood. I have it now so the belt is tight and not rubbing against the wood frame.

I haven't spotted any black dust and this first test print looks promising!

Now to sort out the best way to dismantle and replace the teflon!

I now sell UMO teflon parts. I haven't put it up in my store yet - hope to do so soon but contact me if you want to buy one from me: thegr5store _at_ gmail.com