Totally dead machine

Posted · Totally dead machine

Hi. One of our Ultimaker2 machines has just totally died. The blue light on the power block is lit up but apart from that nothing on the machine is working or lighting up. The cooling fans do not run. It is stone cold dead. Has anyone come across this and found a simple quick solution like a reset or a fuse? Just looking to pull out the trouble shooting section of the instructions now.

Thanks.

Definitely try a different brick. I have 2 (two!) power bricks that sometimes refuse to turn on (blue light looks fine) unless I leave them off for several days. It's very strange. If that doesn't work I hope your printer is under warranty.

Just dead when switched on the next day after doing a normal print. Have not tried it without the card in but as the screen is also blank I am not sure if this will make a difference. I will still give it a go thanks.

I think it will be over the year. May be time to get out the screwdriver.

Start with voltages. Locate 24V and power circuit that steps down voltage to arduino.

Don't know if the issue I recently experienced is related, but earlier today my firmware got corrupted randomly. No signs of lights or anything, everything appeared dead.

Was able to plug in the machine via USB to a PC and re-update the firmware. Booted back up like a charm.

Worth a shot!

Thanks mate. This seems like a very good first check to perform. I have juggled the power bricks around. A software check would seem a good place to start. If this fails then I am going to get the screwdriver out and start checking each system block at a time.

Tried to update firmware but laptop does not detect the machine. Looks like its time to get the screwdriver out.

• Like 1

Took the back off the machine to get at the main board. Clearly it is not a firmware issue as the laptop would not detect the machine when connected up via usb. The board is totally dead with no green led on the board lighting up when the power is switched on. I am not happy. I have had this machine for 18 months. However it has had limited use. It has not been used much this year as we are just hitting the time in the year (used at a school) when we print. I have two Ultimaker 2 machines both purchased at the same time. I also have a Makerbot that is 3 years old and is still buzzing away. I would expect moving parts to wear out and be replaced or heaters to burn out but not this type of fault after limited use. My only course of action seems now to be to buy a new main board. I am not very impressed. Is there a direct line of complaint to Ultimaker rather than just contacting the retailer. I would have thought this was a manufacturing issue rather than an issue for the retailer to deal with as they are simply an outlet for the machines. By the way the NZ supplier of the machines is a great bloke who is very keen to support, quick to respond and always very helpful. No complaints with him at all.

Posted (edited) · Totally dead machine

This may sound like a stupid question but other's had this problem - sometimes the power cable isn't quite all the way plugged into the printer (it kind of snaps) because the circuit board is sometimes pushed a little to the side so it's a very very tight fit with the power cable. One person said he had to push with about 100 pounds (50kg) of force to get the cable in! I'm surprised he didn't break anything. The fix is to loosen the 4 screws slightly that hold the PCB in place, center the plug, then retighten.

I have to tell you personally when I see zero lights on the board that's fantastic news because power problems are the easiest to solve.  Either power is not getting to the board at all (just check the voltage on the board right at the connector) or it's not making it through the first power converter (a chip that converts the 24V to ... I forget - either 5V or 12V.  I think 12V).  It's most likely the power connector but #2 most likely is that power converter chip.  It's a large chip with 3 leads.  I can show you where if you think you have the wherewithall to replace it.

Edited by Guest