Filament diameter greyed out in Cura 2.1.2

p-trax

Posted · Filament diameter greyed out in Cura 2.1.2

I did search for an answer, without success.

I want to manually input the filament diameter in Cura.

Within preferences this is greyed out, ie locked to 2.85mm.

I converted my UM2 to 1.75mm (Olsson, bowden etc) a while back, and it works incredibly well for me.

Any advice gratefully received

The Material Diameter on the Ultimaker2 is disabled by default in the .json profile.

To enable it, so you can change it:

1. Run WordPad as Administrator
    2. Open: c:\Program Files\Cura 2.1\resouces\machines\ultimaker2.json
    3. Scroll to the bottom and change "material_diameter": { "enabled": "True" },
    4. Save and then restart Cura.

You'll then be able to set the diameter to 1.75

Cheers.

Posted (edited) · Filament diameter greyed out in Cura 2.1.2

The Material Diameter on the Ultimaker2 is disabled by default in the .json profile.

To enable it, so you can change it:

1. Run WordPad as Administrator

2. Open: c:\Program Files\Cura 2.1\resouces\machines\ultimaker2.json

3. Scroll to the bottom and change "material_diameter": { "enabled": "True" },

4. Save and then restart Cura.

You'll then be able to set the diameter to 1.75

Cheers.

Many thanks for this, is there an equivalent option for a mac user?

Edited by Guest

For a UM2 you set the diameter on the printer in the material settings.

Unfortunately it is greyed out and cannot be changed.

I'm talking about the menu on the Ultimaker 2, not in cura. The Ultimaker uses "UltiGcode" which is a slightly different type of Gcode in the sense that settings such as filament diameter, temperature and things of that nature is set on the printer itself. That means that you don't have to re-slice a file when you change material, you simply change the material profile on the printer instead.

There should be a similar .json file on the Mac, but I don't know where it would be.

But IRoberti says its set on the printer, so even changing it in Cura probably isn't going to help.

I think you only need to change the diameter in the slicer and change the steps per mm for your e-extruder.

@IRobertI - It's like no one can hear you. I can hear you. @p-trax why would you set the filament diameter in cura and not on the printer itself?

Posted (edited) · Filament diameter greyed out in Cura 2.1.2

I'm talking about the menu on the Ultimaker 2, not in cura. The Ultimaker uses "UltiGcode" which is a slightly different type of Gcode in the sense that settings such as filament diameter, temperature and things of that nature is set on the printer itself. That means that you don't have to re-slice a file when you change material, you simply change the material profile on the printer instead.

Thanks for the advice, I miss-read your comments as this option does not exist on my UM2 [EDIT ; at least i don't think so, I use your replacement extruder, therefore haven't had the need to fully investigate the material menu. I'll check when I'm back home]. Therefore I assume a firmware update exists.

Ive been using S3D as my slicer for about 14 months now, and only downloaded the latest version of cura a few days ago (a model I am struggling with recommended specific settings native to cura).

I will search for firmware updates.

Thanks to all that have posted.

Edited by Guest

@IRobertI - It's like no one can hear you.  I can hear you.  @p-trax why would you set the filament diameter in cura and not on the printer itself?

See my answer above ^

If you slice with s3d you set the filament diameter in the slicer. If you slice with cura and you tell it you have a UM2 series printer or UMO+ then normally the filament diameter is set on the printer itself. You can do it in the materials menu system and save it permanently for your PLA filament or you can do it live from the TUNE menu after you start the print (during warm up is a good time).

In CURA in the machine settings you can switch to REPRAP mode in which case material settings like nozzle/bed temperatures and filament diameter will appear. When you load a gcode file, UM2 marlin knows if it's a normal gcode file versus one sliced in "ultigcode" mode meaning it leaves out those settings from the gcode.