Jump to content
Kev_mc

Olsson Block covered in Material

Recommended Posts

Posted · Olsson Block covered in Material

Last week I started a print on an Ultimaker 2+, after seeing that the first layer went down OK I went off and got lunch. I came back an hour later to find that the print had failed, as there was only a solid blob of plastic attached to the nozzle of the printer, with no part in sight. In fact the Olsson block was was completely covered with plastic, to the point where I had to disassemble the print head assembly and use a heat gun to get the plastic to release enough that I actually see the Olsson block at all. All the threaded surfaces are now covered in plastic. (See attached images.) I was wondering if anyone would know the root cause as to how this happened. My best theory is that the nozzle wasn't correctly tighten and that allowed for plastic to slip around it and cause all of the problems

In summary: Print failed and the Olsson block was totally covered in plastic any suggests has to what might be the problem.5a331f6eb843d_Closeupofultimakerparts.thumb.JPG.1c8e345e8f3b07d24a461ea4de3c7ec3.JPG

5a331f6eb843d_Closeupofultimakerparts.thumb.JPG.1c8e345e8f3b07d24a461ea4de3c7ec3.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Olsson Block covered in Material

There must have been a gap between TFM coupler and stainless steel coupler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Olsson Block covered in Material

Yes @Dim3nsioneer.  and this can happen when the steel coupler is not turned far down = lifts the block inside = makes teflon press harder..

Or maybe you dont have the spring to press the teflon down but the little tube instead?

In that case very important to wind the steel coupler so that there is high pressure.

I think UM will send you a replacement part, you also need the steel coupler.

The teflon is strong and sure like new still..

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Olsson Block covered in Material

Much more likely that the part simply detached from the platform, got stuck to the nozzle and as the printer keeps pushing out plastic it just adds to the blob on the nozzle. This can lead to some pretty impressive blobs around the whole block.

A heat gun, a rag and some patience will clean that up no problem (I know, because I've done it a couple of times).

So IMHO the root cause in this case was poor bed adhesion.

Also, the nozzle is not covered under warranty (except for DOA/manufacturing defects) but if you're lucky, and your reseller is feeling generous, you might get a new one. Don't expect it though.

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura 4.0 | Stable available!
      Ultimaker Cura 4.0 is mainly focused on the improved user interface and cloud integration.
      As always, we want to collect your user feedback for this release. If there are any improvements you can think of, feel free to mention it here and help us to shape the next release.
      • 11 replies
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!