MTVDNA

Brown spots on PCB

Posted · Brown spots on PCB

Hey,

I will probably be replacing my feeder motor, so I screwed off the pcb cover to see what the connectors for the steppers look like. I noticed some brown spots on the pcb:

5a331fe2edf24_Photo07-08-16133031.thumb.jpg.7c08d6dbb72505b5cb8a5d18b03aa81a.jpg

5a331fe2a95d0_Photo07-08-16133122.thumb.jpg.8674e8a19de0fc39d46053b7998bc530.jpg

Is this normal? My machine has been on for about 3900 h, and has printed about 2500 h.

5a331fe2edf24_Photo07-08-16133031.thumb.jpg.7c08d6dbb72505b5cb8a5d18b03aa81a.jpg

5a331fe2a95d0_Photo07-08-16133122.thumb.jpg.8674e8a19de0fc39d46053b7998bc530.jpg

not sure if it is 'normal' but I'd say that the board's silk screen layer is discolored due to heat from the driver chips. Is it 'bad' i.e., is your board about to fail? Probably not.

Well I don't consider it normal... but mine looks the same already for a long time so it's probably no problem...

Well I don't consider it normal... but mine looks the same already for a long time so it's probably no problem...

Well, white plastic gets brown with heat. That's normal. But of course one would not see it if the plastic would have a different color. That's maybe one reason why in the past all pcbs were green or brown... ;)

Thanks guys, that's reassuring. I was not looking forward to having to replace the board, this hobby is expensive enough as it is :p

The brown spots do indicate degradation from heat.

I drilled some holes in the metal cover under the driver area, to improve cooling there.