Layer shifts mid-way through the print.

dcp360

Posted (edited) · Layer shifts mid-way through the print.

I have an ultimaker original plus.

Recently, every print the layer shits suddenly in the x-y direction about mid-way through the print. It then continues to print normally but in the completely wrong place.

I have checked the pulleys, the belts, the end stops and have downloaded the latest Cura.

I read that the stepper motors might be getting too hot - but posibbly not the case as they should be able to manage 80 degrees or it could be the pcb part overheating.

Could it possibly be the g-code or the sd card?

Thank you.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Layer shifts mid-way through the print.

To check if it's heat (room temperature below 28C shouldn't give any trouble) take out the wood cover and place a fan hitting the board.

Did you screw all the pulleys including the ones less accessible on the motors?

• Like 1

Posted · Layer shifts mid-way through the print.

This is an EXTREMELY common problem but without a photo I'm not sure what you mean. It slips BOTH X and Y at the same time? That seems extremely unlikely. I'd really like to see a picture but here's one for you:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide

3rd photo down on right - bright pink. Like that? Sort of? That's loose screw on pulley - usually the one on the motor or just above the motor. Tighten the hell out of those screws. If you use an L wrench your finger should hurt a lot when you do it. You should twist the tool slightly - you should be afraid something is about to break. ALL SIX SCREWS on the axis that is slipping.

UMO kit ships with replacement screws that are shiny silver. The ones in the pulleys are black. The shiny ones are much better (pointier) although I've been happy with the black ones because I TIGHTEN THE HELL OUT OF THEM.