Ultimaker Original+, just assembled, problems with X and Y motion

Pilla

Posted · Ultimaker Original+, just assembled, problems with X and Y motion

I just spent a long time writing this topic, and got a 503 error. I have a video here to show what happens on my brand new just assembled Original+ when I try to do the calibration and configuration:

During assembly following v3.0 manual, on page 38, it said Check if all axles are able to turn freely. If not, add a washer between the axle and the wooden cap. They all turn, but I don't know if freely enough, so I went on.

On pg 68 it says Check if the head moves smoothly. Move the print head diagonally through the printer, you should not feel any resistance. If you do, the print head is probably not calibrated correctly. If necessary, repeat the steps above. I repeated the steps above several times, but still felt varying resistance as I moved the printer head diagonally across the machine - it seemed sinusoidal.

After assembly, I went on to downloading Cura 2.1.2, upgrading to Marlin firmware, and then check the printer.

Connection: done

Min endstop X and Min endstop Y : not checked

Min endstop Z: works.

Help, please!!!

Check all this videos (yeah all of them). They will help you (like they did to me) to have some visual feedback of some of the really important steps.

This you can skip:

This it's great to double check

This it's a superb video about calibration of x/y

(And as @IrobertI and @Lepaul said you need to tight the pulleys screws really hard)

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Original+, just assembled, problems with X and Y motion
    During assembly following v3.0 manual, on page 38, it said Check if all axles are able to turn freely. If not, add a washer between the axle and the wooden cap. They all turn, but I don't know if freely enough, so I went on.

On pg 68 it says Check if the head moves smoothly. Move the print head diagonally through the printer, you should not feel any resistance. If you do, the print head is probably not calibrated correctly. If necessary, repeat the steps above. I repeated the steps above several times, but still felt varying resistance as I moved the printer head diagonally across the machine - it seemed sinusoidal.

Pilla,

When I assembled my UMO+ I had to add washers between the wooden cap and the side panel on one of the axles, otherwise tightening down the cap bound up the axle.  The wording in the instructions to add a washer sounded different than what I did, but what I did worked.  The axles should turn very freely without any rubbing or other friction. So you should check that on yours.

Also, there will be some resistance to movement even when the axles are aligned correctly, but you should be able to move the print head diagonally easily.  The video shows that very well.

I do have a bit of axial play on that axle because of the thickness of the washers I added, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems. A half thickness washer would have been perfect.

Edited by Guest
    Clarification

So the pulleys were ok, it was the washer friction?

I'm sorry that my original reply somehow disappeared. The short pulleys that go vertically were the ones that were slipping. Once I cranked on those pulley screws, X and Y moved correctly. I finally managed to print a little Ultimaker robot!!!

• Like 2