Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
billdempsey

Two Adhesive Questions

Personally my prints stick hard to the tape if I wipe it down with alcohol first. But then you have the problem of having the tape peel off the platform and then you're back at square one again. I really need to build myself a heated bed one of these days...

As for gluing parts the only thing I've tried is "Super" (yeah right..) glue and it works decent but not great. It will also discolour the plastic a bit.

Personally my prints stick hard to the tape if I wipe it down with alcohol first. But then you have the problem of having the tape peel off the platform and then you're back at square one again. I really need to build myself a heated bed one of these days...

As for gluing parts the only thing I've tried is "Super" (yeah right..) glue and it works decent but not great. It will also discolour the plastic a bit.

Yeah, I tried super glue, too. It doesn't work well at all. I might go buy some Weldbond. It's supposed to glue just about anything to anything.

I've personally had fantastic results with superglue (cyanoacrylate). I've glued many different PLA models together with it and they're as strong as if it was printed as one piece. I've not had any glue joints with superglue ever come apart on me.

I've also had success with standard plastic model glue (used for building polystyrene aeroplane / car models, etc.) such as this:

http://www.testors.com/product/136635/3 ... stics_58oz

it's very slow to cure and smells horrible though, so I usually stick with regular superglue.

Cheers,

Troy.

I've personally had fantastic results with superglue (cyanoacrylate). I've glued many different PLA models together with it and they're as strong as if it was printed as one piece. I've not had any glue joints with superglue ever come apart on me.

I've also had success with standard plastic model glue (used for building polystyrene aeroplane / car models, etc.) such as this:

http://www.testors.com/product/136635/3 ... stics_58oz

it's very slow to cure and smells horrible though, so I usually stick with regular superglue.

Cheers,

Troy.

Which brand of super glue are you using? I tried Locktite brand at it wouldn't bond right.