Weird freezes with Tinkergnome firmware & retraction question

Posted · Weird freezes with Tinkergnome firmware & retraction question

Hey guys,

This is the situation = UM2+ ext with @Tinkergnome firmware 16.08.2

What happened to me a few times in the past weeks is that my UM2+ freezes after a long print. Not a single menu item is selectable, the UM2+ must be restarted to work again.

This happens to me 1/10 after a long print. Not a big hassle because it happens after the print but yesterday it happened in the middle of the print. I wanted to check the mm3/sec and I noticed my UM2+ was frozen again, nothing else besides rebooting helped to solve this. I could probably leave it as it was and the print would be finished with the frozen UM2 but I decided to restart the proces. (it was only printing for 2 hours so np)

I was wondering if anybody else has experienced these weird freezes with an UM2+ and firmware 16.08.2 ?

Another thing I was wondering about. I'm using S3D and it always overrides the current UM2 settings. But when my S3D gcode has overwritten the default settings, is it still possible to change the retraction settings during the print? Or are the settings on the UM2+ ignored by my S3D gcode for the whole print?

I'll give you an example. My S3D gcode has most of the time the default retraction settings (25mm/s and 4,5mm). But when I notice that I need to adjust these settings in the middle of a print, is that possible to do this on the UM2 during the print or is it not possible because I don't use Cura?

Thnx in advance :)

Frederiek

Retraction on S3D can't be controlled by the um2 just because... Well retract for ultifavor is done using a specific gcode, and the problem of that is that you can't do retract + other movement, it forces a stationary retraction.

So I would not worry about it, s3d can generate retraction while moving or while changing z, etc. And that's imo much better.

So not a bug, an advantage.

Retraction on S3D can't be controlled by the um2 just because... Well retract for ultifavor is done using a specific gcode, and the problem of that is that you can't do retract + other movement, it forces a stationary retraction.

So I would not worry about it, s3d can generate retraction while moving or while changing z, etc. And that's imo much better.

So not a bug, an advantage.

So in other words, you cannot change retraction settings on the UM2 itself when you use S3D gcodes?

Well you could make a script to change the retract and extrude but could be a mess. So yeah you can't.

Posted (edited) · Weird freezes with Tinkergnome firmware & retraction question

Here's a tutorial on how to change your S3D gcode to use G10 and G11 codes for retract and unretract, for which settings can be changed from the menu on your Ultimaker.

However, it doesn't work if you want to retract during wipe movements.

http://thrinter.com/using-firmware-retraction-with-simplify3d/

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1