Feeder Gear loosening on UMO+

bsilverwood

Posted · Feeder Gear loosening on UMO+

Hopefully my last question here with the general assembly and setup of my printer.

I have noticed that if I do prints with lots of retraction, it causes the main gear on the feeder to loosen. Watching to see what is happening, it appears that the knurled wheel backs itself out. I can tell this because the bolt clip slowly extends out past the nuts on the back side of the feeder and i can physically see the groove in the knurled wheel moving outward. Depending upon the print I have even seen it where the nut falls off and obviously ruins the print.

Has anyone else seen this before or have had this issue? What solutions have you used to prevent the knurled wheel from moving?

I have printed a new large wheel that seems to help mitigate the issue, but still doesn't solve it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:74839

That part was not in the kit. I know... thank you Ultimaker...

I have printed one out, though, but haven't installed it yet. Instead I have a long cotter pin that extends out and bounces between two of the nuts on the back side of the feeder (back side from the angle of looking at the gear).

I figured that the cotter pin is enough, but obviously it is not. Does this Delrin clip do more then a cotter pin? Is there some other subtle piece of engineering (that I am missing) and design of this clip I am missing verses using a cotter pin?

Maybe your pin is pushing the bearing instead of keeping it from passing beyond that point (delrin touching the wood allows that it can't make force on the bearing so it stays in place.

Check minute 4:12 and see that part how makes that the feeder bolt can't move back outside

Yeah, the cotter pin I have is long enough that it rests on the bolts like the video shows, but it bounces back and forth between two of the nuts during extraction/retraction steps in the print.

• Like 1

Does this Delrin clip do more then a cotter pin? Is there some other subtle piece of engineering (that I am missing) and design of this clip I am missing verses using a cotter pin?

All the clip does is prevent the knurled shaft/large gear/gear cover/acorn nut assembly from working its way out. It snaps on and off the shaft to make it easy to remove the assembly and clean the knurled shaft if needed.

You should contact your reseller to get a replacement clip. They will probably direct you to fbrc8 who are the Ultimaker service center for the USA. Your UMO+ has a 1-year warranty, so keep that in mind.

• Like 1

Maybe it has too much room. Can you push it out/in when is off? It might just need a slight correction (take out the nut, screw the knurled bolt in a bit more and then secure the nut again. I can't find a good picture of the umo+ feeder assembly but I think you get what I mean.

Does this Delrin clip do more then a cotter pin? Is there some other subtle piece of engineering (that I am missing) and design of this clip I am missing verses using a cotter pin?

All the clip does is prevent the knurled shaft/large gear/gear cover/acorn nut assembly from working its way out.  It snaps on and off the shaft to make it easy to remove the assembly and clean the knurled shaft if needed.

You should contact your reseller to get a replacement clip.  They will probably direct you to fbrc8 who are the Ultimaker service center for the USA.  Your UMO+ has a 1-year warranty, so keep that in mind.

I just reached out to them. In the mean time, I'm going to see about the printable version of the clip. The feeder should be able to stay together for something as small as this.

That part was not in the kit. I know... thank you Ultimaker...

I have printed one out, though, but haven't installed it yet. Instead I have a long cotter pin that extends out and bounces between two of the nuts on the back side of the feeder (back side from the angle of looking at the gear).

BTW, even the OEM plastic clip bounces between the two nuts during retraction, so that is normal.

Maybe it has too much room. Can you push it out/in when is off? It might just need a slight correction (take out the nut, screw the knurled bolt in a bit more and then secure the nut again. I can't find a good picture of the umo+ feeder assembly but I think you get what I mean.

It's pretty tight when it is on. It doesn't appear to be getting pinched, wedged, or anything odd. Just the knurled wheel creeps out.

I'll try the printed part, and I am working to get an OEM version too.

Thank guys for all your help!

Hi, same description as the first message, but in my case, the delrin clip is correctly placed, and the knurled bolt remains on place, but the problem is that with retractions the cap loosen itself and drops, so the wheels moves out and stops to feed material.

I think I should have a way to secure and tight the cap against the feeding wheel better than the current, but the question is if somebody puts in something (read maybe teflon tape) between the knurled bolt and the cap

See also this old thread: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/10100-um-material-feeder-falls-apart

You really to use a wrench to tight everything together -- and be sure the cap is tight against the gear and not against the axis.