Cura: printing without shell or infill only?

Alicaatje

Posted · Cura: printing without shell or infill only?

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to print only the infill, without outer walls or a shell? I cannot find it in the cura settings. I have tried setting the 0, but that doesn't work. Any tips or ideas? Or does anybody know whether this is even possible?

Thanks!

Hi,

no idea -why- you want to do this :O

In Cura 2.3 this is possible.

Just set "Wall Line Count" (Wall Thickness), "Top Layers" (Top Thickness), "Bottom Layers" (Bottom Thickness) to 0.

Regards Bernd

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
    Posted (edited) · Cura: printing without shell or infill only?

Hi,

I'm also interested in a infill-only print. Setting the wall line count and the others to 0 kind of does it but not really.

The infill close to the perimeter it's a lot more complex/different than the object's inside infill. I'd like an homogeneous infill-only object...

Any help welcome!

Edited by Jaume

1 hour ago, Jaume said:

The infill close to the perimeter it's a lot more complex/different than the object's inside infill. I'd like an homogeneous infill-only object...

You need to use an infill that doesn't connect the ends of the infill lines where they meet the shell. There are settings to enable that feature.

• Like 1

There are many infill patterns.  Some of them connect to walls and some don't.  I'm guessing you want to uncheck "connect infill lines" or try a different pattern.

Posted (edited) · Cura: printing without shell or infill only?

Ok, so far it looks like infill is trying to connect to the "non existing" wall when using Triangles, Grids or lines...

...with "connect infill lines" unchecked.

I must be missing a setting... :S

IMG_2782.thumb.jpg.58965c7594bad9f1dcac6e4134b757e5.jpgIMG_2783.thumb.JPG.d724b37b065f9504298a90b0165067e7.JPG

Edited by Jaume

Hello @Jaume, please save the project and attach the file to this thread so we can see the settings you are using. Thanks.

A .3mf file will work?

Here it is!

infill-only-settings.3mf

That is not the project file, it only contains the model and not the settings. Please do File -> Save and attach the resulting project file. Thanks.

In what file format?

When I go to File - Save as...  I can save it in several formats being .3mf the first one.

gcode?  ...sorry about that... ;D

Ah, confusion, you must be using an earlier cura than me. Does it have a format .curaproject.3mf ? If so, use that.

I'm on Cura 3.4.1

Here's what I've got:IMG_2784.thumb.jpg.dd5c63e74c6b41a499d214b17fdf6f5f.jpg

Thanks, I imported that profile. When I slice your model I get this which doesn't have any explicit lines between the ends of the infill but it is doing non-retract moves (dark blue) so you are probably getting stringing:

Screenshot_2018-10-26_16-05-47.thumb.png.122587f8db23df9531393e06bb05b875.png

If you disable the combing you will get retraction with the moves (light blue lines) and so should not get stringing between the ends of the infill lines:

Screenshot_2018-10-26_16-06-27.thumb.png.b56665c260394feecf277eef0a675bf2.png

Hope this helps!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jaume said:

I'm on Cura 3.4.1

Here's what I've got:IMG_2784.thumb.jpg.dd5c63e74c6b41a499d214b17fdf6f5f.jpg

And that's what you see when you use the file menu in the menu bar? That looks to me more like what you get when you press the save to file button down in the bottom right corner? Anyway, doesn't matter because I loaded your profile.

Wow, that's smart!

Let me check that out and I'll be back to you.

...and yes, that's Save as in File menu in the menu bar on Cura 3.4.1 .... 

@smartavionics IS A GENIUS !

Thanks a lot !!!  Problem solved !!!IMG_2785.thumb.JPG.96c6bcdfe2c512a2b6ab5ee790d8daa2.JPG

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1