Dual independent Extruders

Abdul

Posted · Dual independent Extruders

Hi,

I'm working on building a 3D printer with two independent extruders (they move on the Z axis together but totally independent on the X and Y Axes). The aim is to be able to print one object by two extruders.

this project could be based on Ultimaker original+ and I have no problem modifying the hardware.

the problem I'm facing is the software, I have been trying cura to print few stuff and I know it support dual extrusion but not the way I want. I had a look on the json files of cura but my programming knowledge is very basic and I couldn't understand a lot.

my I idea is to have two independent extruders where each one is free to move in the X and Y axes and once both extruders finish the layer the bed move in the Z axis to start the next layer (one extruder could finish before the other one).

my question is which software should I use and how to modify it in a way that it would control the two independent extruders.

sorry for the long speech but any tips on how or where to look would be appriciated

The slicing engine can't handle this at all at the moment I'm afraid. We assume that at any given time there is only one extruder active.

...and in addition: it's not only a question of the slicer.

You will also need a firmware that can handle more than one extruder coordinate.

(AFAIK Marlin is not able to do that).

thank you for replying, so as I understand the slicer and the firmware can't support 2 extruders at the same time. do they have to be writing from scratch? or can they be modified? and how complicated is that?

Yet alone the effort to coordinate the two heads...in the slicer and the firmware...

This will be a very interesting project! I hope you get it running. I would be really curious to see such a printer.

thank you for replying, so as I understand the slicer and the firmware can't support 2 extruders at the same time. do they have to be writing from scratch? or can they be modified? and how complicated is that?

It's possible, but it's far from easy. But it's going to take an experienced software engineer at least a few months to have something remotely usable.

I suppose this guys done it but like many other companies it might not be opensource

Hi, I am the developer of Modix from the video

Yes it is very challenging task and we are working on that for almost a year now and it will still take some time. Check our website for more details http://modix3d.com.

Dividing the printing tasks between the print heads, calibration, collision prevention, making sure the seam is strong and accurate... this is only a partial list.

• Like 1

Hi, I am the developer of Modix from the video

Yes it is very challenging task and we are working on that for almost a year now and it will still take some time. Check our website for more details http://modix3d.com.

Dividing the printing tasks between the print heads, calibration, collision prevention, making sure the seam is strong and accurate... this is only a partial list.

Thanks for replying, will you allow the software to be open for public use or it is still in development?

It is still in development but we will release soon some large scale 3D printers with a single robot. printers of the size of 40X40X40 cm print space and above.

More details on release