GreenTEC Pla easy removal after hairspray

neotko

Posted (edited) · GreenTEC Pla easy removal after hairspray

For adhesion I use window washer on a paper towel and I spray one puff of hairspray on the paper towel and clean the glass with it.

But until I found this trick I always has to remove the glass and cool it or place it under the sink and it was a waste of time.

Science and exothermic reaction! The blue liquid is a bit of cheap window washer without anything else.

For this test I waited 1h before removing the print, but at soon it arrives to 30C you can do this.

BTW this also works with PLA (no need ofc). It might work with other materials that stick to the bed glass with hairspray. I haven't tested that because I don't like that other materials :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Posted · GreenTEC Pla easy removal after hairspray

Nice tip! I've tried using hairspray before, but had similar problems with it being a bit too difficult to remove. I usually worked around it by just tweaking my first layer position to get just the right amount of grip, but this could also be a good trick to know

• 2 weeks later...

I been doing a lot of tests with this trick and it works on normal Pla (tested without hairspray because I never use it for normal Pla) and it works amazingly well.

Print finished bed 60

Put a small droplet of window washer on the print corners.

When the print reaches 45-50C I can remove it without any force.

So, so far it almost removes the delay time and since the bed is at 45-50C I can launch another print quite fast without delay.

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Neo, could you do a little video of how you apply the hairspray/window washer to the plate? I'd like to see someone doing it right before i ruin my prints with failed attempts of not using enough stuff?

I do this

But I do a good puff (not that short like the video), not like the video, and only rub the side with hairspray on the bed.

This video is quite old for pla-tec it needs a good puff or hairspray, not too much ofc just one specially now that I don't mind if it sticks too much to the bed since it pops quite easy as soon the bed gets to 40-45C (depends room temp ofc).

Today i have a little bit of time so I made a new video. Mind that I use to use both hands and was reusing a paper towel that already had some window washer.

Thanks for the videos! Much appreciated.

To take it off easy after, I just add some more window cleaner right? Is there a specific temp to add the window cleaner? or do I even need it as you mentioned it just comes off easy at 30 degrees?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the videos! Much appreciated.

To take it off easy after, I just add some more window cleaner right? Is there a specific temp to add the window cleaner? or do I even need it as you mentioned it just comes off easy at 30 degrees?

Thanks again!

I drop some around the object after the print is finished because pla-tec resist 110C so it doesn't deform. For normal pla I do it around 55C without touching the part until 45-40. The window washer crawls below and it pops without force. If you wait at 20 the print 'sounds' like the videos and pops easy too.

The main advantage is that there's no need to take the bed glass :)

• Like 1

After you remove the parts I assume you just heat the bed and the moisture evaporates and is ready to go again? Or do you have to reapply some hairspray?

After you remove the parts I assume you just heat the bed and the moisture evaporates and is ready to go again? Or do you have to reapply some hairspray?

In general I remove the part at 35C for pla and 40-45 for platec. I remove the left windowwasher with a paper towel, put one/two puffs of hairspray on the paper and redo the process and hit print on the next job.

Edited by Guest

I always use hairspray for PLA, PETG and ABS prints. As long as the glass plate is hot/warm the print sticks firmly to the bed. But when it cools down it spontaneously detaches. No need to apply new hairspray for every new print.

I always use hairspray for PLA, PETG and ABS prints. As long as the glass plate is hot/warm the print sticks firmly to the bed. But when it cools down it spontaneously detaches. No need to apply new hairspray for every new print.

Good for you! Maybe depends on the brand of hairspray and the PVA concentration/ chemicals.

Today had time to print new foots for my other printers and took the chance to test hairspray ('strong' variant Nely, a common and cheap brand in Spain) with Smartfil Flex from Smartmaterials.

Works quite nicely.