Possible bug: flow% does not seem to get through to the UM3

Zwakie

Posted · Possible bug: flow% does not seem to get through to the UM3

Experimenting with Polymaker PC-MAX I discovered that the flow percentage provided in Cura does not seem to picked up during printing. I have noticed this in 2.3.0 and 2.3.1, for both versions I have to manually tune the flow after the printjob started on my UM3.

Is this a bug or am I overlooking something?

BR

Marcel

The flow set in Cura should be handled by the slicer. I've created a bug ticket (For our reference; CURA-2956) for this.

Thanks @nallath, take it easy as there's no rush to get this resolved from my side. I will read your feedback here in due time. ;)

The flow percentage should be hardcoded in the gcode. That means it is being applied, but didn't show in the tweak menu in the firmware. When you also set the flow percentage in the firmware you are actually applying the percentage twice!

Posted (edited) · Possible bug: flow% does not seem to get through to the UM3

The flow percentage should be hardcoded in the gcode. That means it is being applied, but didn't show in the tweak menu in the firmware.

That's where I got of on the wrong foot...

When you also set the flow percentage in the firmware you are actually applying the percentage twice!

OK, that explains the extensive  blobs I was getting.

Thanks for explaining @bagel-orb, and I think I will follow @ultiarjan 's advise on this one and stick with settting it to 100% in Cura...

Edited by Guest

I've had the same concern with UM3 not recognizing that the material flow setting has been set above or below 100% in Cura.  When checking Tune>Extruder (x)>Material Flow during a print, it's always 100% and not what I set in Cura.

I had asked support at fbrc8 about this a few weeks back and was told they are checking into it and would let me know about this issue as soon as Ultimaker lets them know about it and the latest I heard when I asked again was that they are still looking into it.  So it's now nice to know, until this gets fixed, to set the flow % at 100% in Cura, then adjust it in the UM3.

I also have a concern that when I adjust the material flow % for one Extruder, it also sets that same material flow % for the other Extruder - i.e., currently the UM3 does not allow independent flow settings for each Extruder.

I also asked support at fbrc8 about this and was told: "Unfortunately the inability to set the flow setting independently is a design choice from Ultimaker."

I would appreciate a clarification on this and why this is a "design choice" from Ultimaker.  If I want a flow setting of 104% for Extruder 1 and 100% for Extruder 2, why is it the UM3 cannot do this?

• Like 1

I also asked support at fbrc8 about this and was told: "Unfortunately the inability to set the flow setting independently is a design choice from Ultimaker."

This is strange, because a question like that never reached me (This is why I immediately created a ticket for it when I read this topic, so we can look into this)

This is strange, because a question like that never reached me (This is why I immediately created a ticket for it when I read this topic, so we can look into this)

On the beta we did comment that issue a couple times, but was focused (afaik) on the flow control of the printer 'while' printing, because you can change flow but it affects both cores and isn't independent.

It seems to me that flow should be hard coded; then if you rerun the gcode for subsequent copies you will be applting the same settings. If it is done via the printer then you will need to log the details so that at some future time you can find the % applied by the printer and use it again to ensure the same result. Of course that assumes you will remember to look for it and can find it. Clearly hard coding in the gcode is a much better method.