Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
joe-hoffmann

Feeding motor is not feeding while printing

Hello everybody,

I have an ultimaker original and I have a problem with the filament motor. When the support structure is printed, the motor is feeding with filament but then when it comes to the actual part, it stops feeding. So it isn't a problem by the motor of itself. The clarify which part I mean, you can look at the photograph. IMG_9244.thumb.JPG.520b8f1394718527f2ccd61ca95bb76c.JPGI don't really know how to fix this problem and I hope that anyone can help me.

Thanks a lot!

Joe

IMG_9244.thumb.JPG.520b8f1394718527f2ccd61ca95bb76c.JPG

I don't know what you mean by in the first layer.

As you can see in the picture, there should be everything alright in Cura.5a3323d89a0fb_Screenshot(31).thumb.png.40a01d31751878fc854ce92fd515b489.png

To describe it more precisely, the motor behind which feeds the filament works, because it feeds while printing the first layer and the support structure. After the progress you can see on the picture, the filament feeding motor stops working. I really cannot tell what the problem is.

IMG_9249.thumb.JPG.80467894056bd5e3dcaa8ef8b37c6570.JPG

So you can see it prints the first layer perfecctly and afterwards there is simply no filament coming out.

5a3323d89a0fb_Screenshot(31).thumb.png.40a01d31751878fc854ce92fd515b489.png

IMG_9249.thumb.JPG.80467894056bd5e3dcaa8ef8b37c6570.JPG

The black lever should be all the way down, just an FYI

Have you cleaned the hobbed piece inside the feeder recently?

My thinking is the print starts ok, then the filament either slips or isn't getting the extra force from that black knob being all the way down (I know some even zip tie the lever tight)

What's the black tube laying across the print head and build plate?

Hello, I made a video to show what's happening. I hope that you can see enough. It is actually clear to see that the feeding motor doesn't turn at all.

Video:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rcsml9umkt96smx/AACwC_Zmjc1UUXgPcLaB5dM7a?dl=0

I prepared the model also by two different CAD programs to see if there was a problem with the file. This wasn't the case.

I hope to find some answers to the problem. :)

Well I don't see anything out of the ordinary. It might be time to check the motor or stepper chip.

a) Check the UMO Board fan is working all the time and that's free of dust and spins right.

b) Check the motor cables, review everything related to the extruder motor from the chip to the motor itself.

When this happens, if you stop the print at restart it fast, does it extrude?

If you preheat manually Control/Temperature and then you go to Prepare/Move Axis/Move 1.0mm/Move Extruder does it extrude?

Well I don't see anything out of the ordinary. It might be time to check the motor or stepper chip.

a) Check the UMO Board fan is working all the time and that's free of dust and spins right.

b) Check the motor cables, review everything related to the extruder motor from the chip to the motor itself.

When this happens, if you stop the print at restart it fast, does it extrude?

If you preheat manually Control/Temperature and then you go to Prepare/Move Axis/Move 1.0mm/Move Extruder does it extrude?

a) umo board fan is working

b) cables are all plugged in

Manually extrude also works.

Well there's a chance that the Fans at layer 1 (layer 2 in real life) is making some trouble. At layer 2 your fans to full throttle

;LAYER:1M106 S255

Can you try to edit this and set, something like S50 or S100? Or remove the line and manually change the fan pwm on the panel and gradually move it up until you can see what's happening? Maybe the Fan PWM is interfering with the Thermistor, I see this on posts of some setups with custom fans that where too powerfull.

If that's the case, I would try to install the @amedee custom firmware https://bultimaker.bulles.eu & don't change anything unless you have custom hardware. And activate the option called Slow PWM

Original Ultimaker firmware is using Fast PWM to control the fan. In some cases high PWM frequencies interfere with the temperature sensor. If your get erratic temperatures at slow fan speed, try this option
  • Like 1

Usually that error can be related with wire crosstalk, your fans (I mean Lepaul fans) where too powerful and since UMO has the thermistor amplifier on the top near the cables is more susceptible to get that (IMO).

I would like to ask to @joe-hoffmann to watch the temperature reported while fans go on, because at 255 (full force at layer 2) the issue could be just that the temperature goes below 170C and the extruder stops because the firmware has that setting to avoid damaging the motor (cold extrusion safety).

• Like 1