Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
nullroute

UM3 print with only second extruder

Is it possible to print a model with only the second extruder? I wanted to leave two different materials in the extruders, so I don't have to change the material between prints. I've gotten it to print the brim with the second extruder, but then it goes on to print the rest of the model with the first extruder.

Using Cura 2.3.1

Hi there.

I'm trying to do the same as nullroute, but I am too stupid to find the required settings in Cura 2.3.1. There's only an option to choose the extruder for support and bed plate adhesion, but not for the model itself....

Could anyone give me a push in the right direction?

Thanks!

I had problems a few times getting the UM3 to print a model using only the second nozzle.

I did not yet investigate this to find the root cause, but my gut feeling is telling me there is a little snag in Cura, since I never have an issue when I select the first printcore for bed adhesion.

Again: this is a proviso observation. Maybe others experienced the same?

Edited by Guest

The only real reason you could have is that the cooling sequence after the print finishes forces both Cores to heat to the temperature the firmware says. That's nice, but is quite a waste of time if you leave the Second core to 0C and at the end of the print the firmware forces the second core to suddenly heat to 200C.

Also, about temperature, is a good idea to change the MAX/MIN Cº of the unused core so it doesn't stay hot while printing with the other. By default Cura doesn't do this atm, but is just a matter of firmware/cura.

Also, about temperature, is a good idea to change the MAX/MIN Cº of the unused core so it doesn't stay hot while printing with the other. By default Cura doesn't do this atm, but is just a matter of firmware/cura.

So this setting does nothing? (Cura 2.3.1):

Standby.thumb.png.f02287dc52cc6be43c43e5145b0a3821.png

I thought that was what it was for (at least that's what the help text says...)

So this setting does nothing? (Cura 2.3.1):

I thought that was what it was for (at least that's what the help text says...)

Well that's the 'min' temperature I mean. You can set that and the main temp to Zero if you don't want them on.