Ultimaker 3 Cores in different nozzle sizes

Posted · Ultimaker 3 Cores in different nozzle sizes

As someone who likes to print small things such as 28mm figures for roleplaying and boardgames I've used a lot of 0,25 mm nozzle on my ultimaker 2+ I'm anxiously waiting for the announcement for different size print cores for the 3.

I was browsing 3dprinting subreddit and noticed E3D announcing a new 0,15 mm nozzle for very small prints and the details you could achieve with such tiny nozzle sizes are truly amazing. But with such high detail, as many us know, come long print times. Which comes even more unbearable when you're printing 16 hours for something that is the size of a sugarcube. As much as dual extrusion of PVA supports have made prints easier what I am even more excited about for the future would be dual extruding same color PLA with different nozzle sizes in each core. It would cut the printing time immensely if you could put the basic shape of the print together with 0,4 mm nozzle and use 0,25 mm (or even smaller like the E3D nozzle) for the fine details.

I don't have the UM3 so I'm not yet familiar with all that is possible with the dual extrusion. But does Cura have support for different sized nozzles used at the same time or is it planned for the future? I'm also curious if it is already possible to have different layer heights for each core?

Anyone else have high hopes and ideas to do with different size print cores?

Yes I'm aware that there are many smaller nozzles out there, but what I would be most interested about is the dual extrusion with different sized nozzles/layer heights. So you can make the base of the part with a larger nozzle and add the details with the smaller.

So I was wondering if there is something in the works or if someone has made it work already. Since Cura doesn't seem to support different layer heights on each core yet.

It would cut printing times by a lot if you could print only the outer layer with 0,06 layer height and small nozzle and use the other nozzle for infills and inner shells. So you don't have to print the whole object with the highest detail if there are large straight walls for example. It would help the print cleanup and prepping models for painting quite a bit.

• 3 months later...

It would cut printing times by a lot if you could print only the outer layer with 0,06 layer height and small nozzle and use the other nozzle for infills and inner shells. So you don't have to print the whole object with the highest detail if there are large straight walls for example. It would help the print cleanup and prepping models for painting quite a bit.

Cura can already do that, albeit it is not easy. I'm trying to get a "how-to" written, because with some instructions I think everyone can manage.

Here in UM HQ we're combining 0.4mm print core with 0.1 layerheight (for the outside) with 0.8mm print core with 0.4 layerheight (for the inside).

The result is a beautiful print at more than 50% reduced print time.

• Like 2

Cura can already do that, albeit it is not easy. I'm trying to get a "how-to" written, because with some instructions I think everyone can manage.

Here in UM HQ we're combining 0.4mm print core with 0.1 layerheight (for the outside) with 0.8mm print core with 0.4 layerheight (for the inside).

The result is a beautiful print at more than 50% reduced print time.

So how well does this work on a model that has overhangs and bridging?

I guess you cannot squeeze enough material through a 0.4mm core to print a 0.8mm line at 0.4mm layer height? btw... wouldn't a 0.4mm wide line be enough for infill?

Nice! is this anywhere on a roadmap? Cura 2.6?

I guess you cannot squeeze enough material through a 0.4mm core to print a 0.8mm line at 0.4mm layer height? btw... wouldn't a 0.4mm wide line be enough for infill?

Nope, but with a 0.8mm print core we can...

Nice! is this anywhere on a roadmap? Cura 2.6?

It can already be done with the current Cura 2.4. It is however not easy, therefore I want this how-to to be published. Once you know it, it is not so difficult.

Wild guess: two times the same model set to different cores.

One with outer insets and infill

One with shell only

Or something like that ?

Play with it if you like:

It is assumed the 0.4mm print core is in slot 1, and the 0.8mm print core is in slot 2

3 thin walls will be replaced with one 0.4mm wall and one 0.8mm wall.

1. Load your model. Select the normal profile (0.1mm layerheight). Select "discard current changes" in the profile menu to be sure everything is set to default.

2. Load a cube.

3. Turn off the option that Cura separates your models

4. Resize and position the cube so that it encloses your model, except for the top of your model (otherwise you can no longer select your model)

5. Select the cube, and on the left side choose "per object settings", make visible the option "infill mesh", and select it. From now on, Cura no longer sees the cube as an object, but as a region where local slicing settings can be applied.

6. in the per object settings

a. select the cube to be printed with extruder 2.

b. Set line width to 0.8mm

c. Set wall line count to 1

7. On the right side, with extruder 1 selected: set top/bottom thickness to 0.1mm

8. On the right side, with extruder 1 selected: set wall thickness to 0.35mm

9. On the right side, with extruder 2 selected: set infill layer thickness to 0.4mm

10. On the right side, with extruder 2 selected: set top/bottom thickness to 0.8mm

11. if you are satisfied, resize the cube so that it fully encloses the top of your model

Check the layerview with what is happening.

This is not a very good description, but it will get you going.

• Like 3