UM3 NFC not working

Waternut13134

Posted · UM3 NFC not working

So I just got my UM3 and so far everything seems to be working great. However my UM3 cant recognized any filament. I checked the connection for the NFC reader and everything and it still cant see the rolls of UM filament that I installed. Any suggestions? I know I read someone else had the problem as well. Thanks

I figured it out! So after thinking I didnt make the connection right under the printer I kept taking it plugging and unplugging and still nothing,So I decided to take apart the spool holder and what do you know the connection to the NFC reader was barely connected. Now it reads like a charm =)

• 2 months later...

Same problems here (UM3 Extended, just arrived): the printer sees the FIRST filament as PVA (if I load the Ultimaker PVA as #2 and Ultimaker Silver gray as #1) and says that the head#1 (AA) cannot load a (BB) material...

Any ideas?

Have I to take apart the spool holder, too?

Thanks

g

Same problems here (UM3 Extended, just arrived): the printer sees the FIRST filament as PVA (if I load the Ultimaker PVA as #2 and Ultimaker Silver gray as #1) and says that the head#1 (AA) cannot load a (BB) material...

Any ideas?

Have I to take apart the spool holder, too?

Thanks

g

Is there any chance the spools might be backwards on the reel holder? Can you provide a photo?

I have the same problems with my UM3. Material #1 will not be recognized. I checked all posibilities posted here :(

Newest firmware (testing version) has diagnosis in the system-maintenance menu. It tells you whether or not embedded control has a connection with the reader, and there's an option to check whether or not it sees any tags.

if that is all working, and still your roll is not recognized during the loading procedure, you can reset the internal administration by using 'set type' in the MATERIAL menu, for both material 1 and 2.

Remove spools from the spoolholder, and use "change material" for both sides. Your spools will then be recognized (that's what the embedded guys told me anyway)

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · UM3 NFC not working

Still the two spools arrived with the UM3x (Silver metallic and PVA) are not correctly recognised: only the 1st one I insert, the PVA in core 2, is recognised. Afterwards the 2nd filament (silver metallic) for print core 1 is recognised again as PVA... and I've to change it manually.

The (little) problem is that using the UM3 menu to manually fix the material (= selecting "PLA") does not allow to set the material to the "exact" Ultimaker material, that Cura software should read.  This way I've to force Cura to recognise a filament (UM Silver Metallic) that is different from what the printer thinks (normal PLA).

Neither this method allows to use the feature that "knows" how much filament is still available in the spool (that only works with NFC recognised material, I suppose: the exact spool is identified and the printer knows how much filament has been printed and how much is still available).

Waiting for a fix... :-)

Edited by Guest

To diagnose what's going on, you may want to update to the testing version in the upgrade firmware menu.

Then, see what materials are read when both your spools are installed on the spoolholder.

Maybe your pla spool is incorrectly programmed.

On 2/23/2017 at 12:21 AM, Trebor said:

I have the same problems with my UM3. Material #1 will not be recognized. I checked all posibilities posted here 😞

I just received my brand new UM3 and out of the box I upgraded to the latest firmware (2 updates)  before installing any spools - I have the same issue and can't even change type, since it keeps auto detecting PVA as Material one. obviously as above material 2 which is the actual PVA is detected no problem. its the Grey sample PLA in the box that keeps being detected as PVA - could this be a error with the pool NFC take it self? 

You can use the diagnostics menu to see what tags the NFC reader is detecting. If you install only the PLA spool on the printer, what does the diagnostics tell you?

Are you putting the spools on one at a time? I.e. do these steps:

1. tell um3 load material 2
    2. put PVA on holder, press confirm that spool has been placed
    3. wait for detect.
    4. finish load process for material 2
    5. tell um3 to load material 1
    6. put PLA on holder, press confirm that spool has been placed
    7. wait for detect.
    8. finish load process.

at both steps 3 and 7 the display should initially say “no material detected” and then a few seconds later will identify the new spool.