Infill only where needed [Feedback]

anyuferrari

Posted · Infill only where needed [Feedback]

Hello, up to recently I've been using Slic3r for all my prints, and decided to give a try to the new Cura version and found out it was quite an improvement. However, there's a feature that it hasn't (Or I didn't find) that is infill only where needed.

What it does is that it only generates infill for the parts where it's needed as support for the 'roof' of the model.

There are a few prints where I don't need the piece to be so strong, but I need to print it faster, and with less material.

Thank you for your attention.

You can't do that in cura 2.3, but cura 2.4 has an option to hollow out a model so that support will also be generated on the inside.

That's still not really the feature you want, but it's close to it.

What you can do in Cura 2.3 is that you can use the "Gradual infill steps" to print with a very low infill for most of the model and then doubling or quadrupling the % when you are close to a top surface. Works pretty well, especially when printing large "boxes" that does not need a lot of infill but flat top surfaces.