Found: An old MakerBot Replicator

Torby

Posted (edited) · Found: An old MakerBot Replicator

replicator.jpg

Never figured I'd be able to buy a 3d printer, but I found this at the local thrift (junk) shop. MakerBot doesn't seem to remember having made these as it isn't listed in their software. A friend suggested that Cura v 15.4.6 lists the old replicator under Machine - Add New Machine, and indeed, it does.

Cura writes me the .gcode file and lets me save it on my SD card, but I'm told that makerbot only recognizes a .x3g file. How do I get this x3g file?

It turns on the lights and display and I can move the carriage around with the "jog" function. When I try to actually "print" from the SD card with a .gcode file, it turns off the "M" button and just sits there looking at me funny. Perhaps it's warming up or something and will start in a while?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Found: An old MakerBot Replicator

From Meduza's post, I got ReplicatorG that gets me an x3g file. When I select "print from SD card," my replicator just stops doing anything till I turn it off, but I have an idea of something to try.

I'm wondering if it can't deal with the file system of my 16GB SD card. I have a couple 1GB cards around. I'll dig one of those out.

"Now i am not very experienced with Makerbots, i try to keep away from them"

Pretty wise, I'd say.

It's working!

itsworking.jpg

It needs the old style .s3g file.

Oh, yes. I am NOT a robot.

• Like 2

You should try and see if you can get Ultimaker firmware to run on it. That would be a good joke :)

• Like 2

I haven't seen any Marlin versions compiled for the Makerbot mainboard, but what can be done is using Sailfish instead of the original firmware to gain some extra features: http://www.sailfishfirmware.com

I've heard of sailfish. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

Hey... I own one just like it (along with my ultimaker).

Just use Makerware... Personally I use an older version. The current one (makerbot desktop) will work but I don't like how it updates itself.

BTW.. you can also use cura to create a gcode file and then have makerware convert it to the format your makerbot will understand. If you can't find a windows version of makerware let me know and I'll give you a link privately.

Haven't posted in a long time, but I continue to use my makerbot and it mostly prints what I want as long as I don't try to use both print heads in one project. If I try that, it prints the left inches out of register.