Problems with printing with two colors

Sdecorrado

Posted · Problems with printing with two colors

We have bought an Ultimaker 3 some days ago and we have been trying since then to print with two colors very simple items but they keep crumbling down when finished. The print divides in many pieces following the two colors line, i tried with tower and without but it is always the same. Is there someone who could successfully print in two colors?

I apologize for my english and if I got the wrong place

Cono.thumb.JPG.142193dcf66e792b3fd88d35bd43a25b.JPG

5a3325938bfba_Conosmontato.thumb.JPG.c08d00c78e9f7b481f81090376efa833.JPG

Here are the images of a simple traffic post, it was well printed but when we took it off the printer it splitted. The two colors are not fastened together. The same happened with all the files we tried to print in two colors.

Cono.thumb.JPG.142193dcf66e792b3fd88d35bd43a25b.JPG

5a3325938bfba_Conosmontato.thumb.JPG.c08d00c78e9f7b481f81090376efa833.JPG

What materials are you printing with? Are they both the same type of filament?

I don't see any visible gaps in the photo of all the pieces together, but it's possible there may be an issue with your Z-offset calibration. You may want to go back into the menu and run the Z-offset calibration again.

Also, have you updated the firmware?

Firmware updated as far as i know, offset Z calibrated. Everything seems in order but the two colors don't merge together, the filaments are of the same kind. We couldn't detect any fault, it doesn't depend on the file since we tried different ones. Other than this, everything is working fine with this printer.

Firmware updated as far as i know, offset Z calibrated. Everything seems in order but the two colors don't merge together, the filaments are of the same kind. We couldn't detect any fault, it doesn't depend on the file since we tried different ones. Other than this, everything is working fine with this printer.

Still should be interesting to know what kind of materials you use. Even if they are the same kind.

Still should be interesting to know what kind of materials you use. Even if they are the same kind.

We used PLA  from Extruder for both the filaments

What type of PLA? Ultimaker, or another brand? Have you tried other filaments?

Do your PLA/PVA prints stick to each other okay?

What type of PLA? Ultimaker, or another brand? Have you tried other filaments?

Do your PLA/PVA prints stick to each other okay?

We used Extrudr filaments in both. We also tried PLA with PVA for supports and everything went ok. The only issue seems to be the two colors one.

Thank you for the answers and HAPPY NEW YEAR to everybody

Posted (edited) · Problems with printing with two colors

Maybe is the temperature? Try to raise it 5-10C?

Edit. It doesn't make sense. Extrudr pla is just pla.

Edited by Guest

PLA cools rather quickly. I am not sure how to do it, but during transition, layer height should be lower and temp higher (maybe even turn off fans), as it seem like they are not bonding properly, probably due to the time it takes for the switch.

I would try to print two towers, like 5mm with both cores one near the other to check if the Z is ok.

Maybe is the Z calibration isn't working as it should. PLA bonds to PLA even at low temps, or at least it should. Isn't like ABS.

Thank you for the suggestions, we tried with tower, without tower with no success, but maybe we found the solution. We used Simplify3D software with our printers, only with this one we used Cura. We tried to print two colors with Simplify after they gave us te correct parameters for the machine and everything went ok with the two colors even on ultimaker 3. They stack beautifully, so maybe we got some parameters in Cura wrong. As soon as we find where is the problem i will let you know. If someone had the same problem please let me know too

• Like 1