Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
LePaul

Cura 2.3.1 Infill patterns

I see the various ones and a little bit on the mouse over info....but I am having troubles with strength with nGen filament. One of my friends suggested a honeycomb type pattern, but we do not have that option (yet?). Which of the ones available would work better? Cura keeps picking Lines by default but I haven't found any documentation here that states the Pros and Cons of each

infill.jpg.0bf18e50e35e276f9674b21c5aa33fec.jpg

infill.jpg.0bf18e50e35e276f9674b21c5aa33fec.jpg

234 no fan

I found that all the blobs on the nozzle vanished once the fan was shut off. I had been running 50% and the nozzle was a mess after

I need to find a test model I can strength test (something tall) with the various infills

234 no fan

I found that all the blobs on the nozzle vanished once the fan was shut off.  I had been running 50% and the nozzle was a mess after

I need to find a test model I can strength test (something tall) with the various infills

try running this at 245 if you have an UM2+.. you'll get better results.. only use fan with NGEN during overhangs..

Print underway and I can already tell 245C is too hot as the first layer has "tidal waves" (best description I have) in it.  But I'll see this print through.  

IMG_5180.thumb.JPG.368b922c5fb7860dcec0f4abd5374d86.JPG

IMG_5185.thumb.JPG.4a5e9b1a549d99ada779458720d47a52.JPG

So on the two models that printed at 245...

Model one snapped quickly with the triangle infill

Model two hasn't! Just using lines for infill

Both have ugly bottoms from printing at 245C

IMG_5180.thumb.JPG.368b922c5fb7860dcec0f4abd5374d86.JPG

IMG_5185.thumb.JPG.4a5e9b1a549d99ada779458720d47a52.JPG

Edited by Guest

Okay so it's late and we have an ice storm under way, so I didn't print as much as I wanted to.  But I am afraid the power will fail soon!

Here's the last two I printed.

The 240C print with tetrahedral failed with little force

The 240C print with lines survived my testing

240C still seems a bit too hot based on the first layer 'waves' (as soon on the bottom as well)

Some of this is more a hassle with fine tuning nGen for strength (if it can be)

IMG_5200.thumb.JPG.82ed68273f488cd56ff1cc60cc6c7d3e.JPG

But I'm intrigued the more elaborate infills are failing so easily

IMG_5200.thumb.JPG.82ed68273f488cd56ff1cc60cc6c7d3e.JPG

Yeah I'm just putting the samples about half way off the counter and putting some force on the end...nothing crazy, just slowly applying force with my hand. I was quite surprised how quickly the two orange pieces blew apart.

I had been printing at 230C and getting really nice adhesion. I'll see what 235C does tomorrow (again, no fans on any of these prints)

My guess would be the orientation of the lines is providing greater surface area across where the force is being applied, specifically layer to layer. If you were looking at a compression force along the sides (perpendicular to the z-axis of the print) I would imagine the triangles would hold up to more.

Last night I printed a 50% version of the frame piece (curved piece a couple posts above). I printed at 235C and used the triangles infill. When completed, I twisted, pushed, pulled and the piece stayed intact!

I think I will print the full size one tonight and go back to my 230C settings and use triangle infill to see if that's the secret to a stronger print with nGen. And I can also do a 235C one to compare the strength between temps