How to print this model?

BenSlos

Posted (edited) · How to print this model?

Dear UM-Community,

this is my first post in this forum so just correct me if I am doing anything wrong.

At the moment I am trying to print some parts of my bachelorthesis in architecture. And the prints are failing all the time :(I am using the Ultimaker 2+ with cura 2.3.1

Can you maybe give me a hand?

This is my model:

Unbenannt.thumb.JPG.983363eecf78c03910f7577a49d7d74b.JPG

I am printing it upside down and face some different issues:

1. As expected, the printer got problems with the overhang geometry

Unbenannt.thumb.JPG.bc9d9852eaae56bbac34636335185502.JPG

The picture shows one of the first layers, which are looking good during printing but any higher layers are failing. I already tried cool temps slow printing and high speed fans (195°C, 20mm/s, 100%) no good results.

2. Cura wants to print a plate in the middle of the model, which is not contained in the original geometry.

Unbenannt1.thumb.JPG.25d2bcf88f6535a00d6c43acc7c02306.JPG

Support structure is disabled.

3. When uploading the .slt first time to cura, a small part of the model is cutted of at the buildingplate (few mm). Is there any tick box I am not able to see?

Generally I am trying to avoid the support structure, because I am afraid of the damaging the model when trying to get rid of the support structure after the print is finished.

I hope you can help me! Thank you very much in advance.

All the Best

Ben

Unbenannt.thumb.JPG.983363eecf78c03910f7577a49d7d74b.JPG

Unbenannt.thumb.JPG.bc9d9852eaae56bbac34636335185502.JPG

Unbenannt1.thumb.JPG.25d2bcf88f6535a00d6c43acc7c02306.JPG

Edited by Guest

Posted · How to print this model?

Make a square surrounding the structure so each layer takes more time and the pla can cool down properly. Other fast fix, put a small fan in front of the printer to increase the air cooling. When doing small areas, pla must cool down. The standard fans have its limits on cfm, to avoid them you can use Labern fancap (youmagine) to have better air on the print, or just bruteforce it with a small fan cooling down the print.

Also maybe 190C & 20mm/s can be too hot for that speed. You can, if you want, change the temperature in the middle, using change at Z (or something like that plugging), or manually edit the gcode to add speed slowdown at certain point of your print.

Posted · How to print this model?

I think you are going to have to put a little support structure in there but I'm not certain you need it.

On the slicing issues - somewhere burried in the advanced features is something called "fix horrible A" I believe. Uncheck that - that is party what is causing your "plate".

What CAD software are you using? Is this from sketchup? If so you have to make ti manifold (link at the end).

Tell me more about the missing layer - look at this area in xray mode. It sounds like your model is not manifold. A manifold model can be filled with water. Your model may have holes in it or may have inner walls.

More on sketchup and manifold (if you don't use sketchup skip to #4 and #5 sections of this link):

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/