Fine structures are ripped off by head (ULTIMAKER 2+)

Mick_cologne

Posted (edited) · Fine structures are ripped off by head (ULTIMAKER 2+)

After printing several fine structured, low height (0,6 - 1mm) texts with no problems, I'm now (after 97 printing hours with 53m printed) running into problems. I attached a (multi-picture-)picture where you can see printed text.

Pics 1 and 2 show the current prints which mostly are ripped of by the print-head either because the Material doesn't stick properly on the bead and is ripped of already when printing the first layer, or because of parts that bend up after the printer has printed a few layers. Pic 3 shows a text that I printed before (along with many others) without any issues. It happened also before that something has been ripped of, but rarely and now it is always ripped of. When I'm using 1mm Brim it prints o.k., but Brim is not acceptable for decorative text. As I'm not printing decorative stuff very often (only sometimes for a colleague), but mostly functional parts (which still print without any/relevant issues) I'm not extremely worried by now, but maybe the problem increases and I would like to find out the reason. I already recalibrated the build plate (several times with different distances), cleaned it accurately and did the "Atomic - Method". Also the marks on the filament behind the feeder do not reveal feeding issues (as far as I can say). I also tried it with a different Material (but from the same supplier: "Innofill") with the same result. At the beginning of the print when the Material is printed in the air, the flow is straight and looks good.

Despite that I still have the feeling that there is a little underextrusion during the print! Could it be the coupler or more likely the nozzle (or something else)?

I'm using a 0,4 nozzle with a "Layer Height" of 0,06 and a "Wall thickness" of 0.4. "Print Speed" and "Infill Speed" is set to 30, "Travel Speed" is set to 120 and "Initial layer speed" is set to 20. "Retraction" is enabled. Most or even all (I don't remember exactly) of the properly printed text was printed with Cura V2.2.x, but now I'm using Cura2.3.1.

Thanks for the help in advance!

5a3326656a2a4_ProblemsUlti2.thumb.jpg.6ff4f445c5bc0d6ec34d3c3040a26e0e.jpg

5a3326656a2a4_ProblemsUlti2.thumb.jpg.6ff4f445c5bc0d6ec34d3c3040a26e0e.jpg

Edited by Guest

It's probably the nozzle.   It's probably worn.  Swap out the nozzle. Let us know if that works.

In addition note that white filaments of all brands have something in it (I think talc) that makes it harder to print.

Also it looks to me like you don't squish your filament as much as I do and you don't appear to use any kind of PVA. Squish and PVA when done correctly keep the bottom layer from peeling.

Edited by Guest

Posted · Fine structures are ripped off by head (ULTIMAKER 2+)

In addition note that white filaments of all brands have something in it (I think talc) that makes it harder to print.

The thing is that before it worked as good as any other colour I have used so far (s. e. g.:

and this was fast print with support)

Also it looks to me like you don't squish your filament as much as I do and you don't appear to use any kind of PVA.  Squish and PVA when done correctly keep the bottom layer from peeling.

What do you mean with "squish"? Regarding PVA I tried to use the glue that came with the printer, but that didn't help a bit!

So I will order a new nozzle and try again!

THANKS!

• Like 1

Squish I talk about here in great detail but I mean flatten the filament more on the bottom layer. Like a pancake shape:

I reported this problem many months ago. It is not related to a specific filament. Once it happens, it occurs whitch any filament. it is something related to Cura and occurs only with certain printed parts. If you print using other slicer, do you still have the problem? I had the same issue with Cura for certain parts that went away when switching to S3D.

I've run into this with my first layers as well, where you get that tugged-upwards effect.  In my prints, they were large, curved objects, oriented vertically...this meant a lot of support structure at the bottom.   Those 'tugged up' segments would continue to get hit by the nozzle and generally make a mess.  

I never really sorted out the problem, despite different colors or filaments (happened in both PLA and nGen).  I had to use a raft in my case.  But that would not work for what you are trying to do

What's your retraction speed and distance?

Edited by Guest

There's lots more details about this problem and slow motion video of it happening and ways to reduce the problem and why it happens:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4094-raised-edges/

Look at the first picture in the first post to see if this is the same problem you have. Then skip right to "page 2" and look at foehnstrum's video and read all the posts after that possibly. It's not until around post #39 and later that we really begin to understand what causes the issue. That video was important and looking with "reading" glasses.

There's lots more details about this problem and slow motion video of it happening and ways to reduce the problem and why it happens:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4094-raised-edges/

Look at the first picture in the first post to see if this is the same problem you have.  Then skip right to "page 2" and look at foehnstrum's video and read all the posts after that possibly.  It's not until around post #39 and later that we really begin to understand what causes the issue.  That video was important and looking with "reading" glasses.

No, I think the problem with my printer is different, but I now printed a different text with a font that has slightly less fine structures and that was printed well. Also the infill was more dense than with the previous text, so maybe the problems might have more to do with the printed structures/Cura than the printer!? I now will try the text with a higher nozzle and buildplate temp and play a little with other settings too!

Anyway I ordered a new nozzle, too!

Thanks for the help!

Maybe I now found the reason for the different print results since I'm using Cura2.3! I was using the new Cura version without updating to the new firmware version. Now after installation of the new firmware the head movement seems to be different now (especially the head movement at the beginning, when the printer moves from the top corner to the print position, is much faster now). Now the prints seem to look more accurate than before!